20+ Winter Slow Cooker Recipes
If you’re looking for easy, delicious Winter Slow Cooker recipes, you’re in the right place!
Read on for a collection of easy, vegetarian, comfort food, soup, and chicken winter crockpot recipes perfect for cozying up with when the temperatures drop.
about these healthy winter slow cooker recipes
I don’t know about you but as the seasons change, so do the ingredients in my kitchen.
One of my favorite ways to take advantage of all the delicious produce during its peak season (and most affordable price point) is to switch up the veggies and spices I’m using.
It keeps things interesting and is a simple way to liven up weeknight dinners so they feel new again (without too much extra effort).
Including lots of my favorite comfort food dishes, vegetarian recipes, winter soups, and family-friendly chicken dinners to cozy up with.
The best part is that they make lots of leftovers, so this is a great list to have on hand if you need to feed a crowd quickly & easily!
easy prep winter slow cooker recipes
If you’re new to slow cooker recipes, don’t worry – these are all very beginner friendly dishes.
Even though the cook time looks long in the recipe card, the hands-on prep time is very short.
In my opinion the less prep & less stress part is one of the biggest perks of crockpot cooking (well, that and less cleanup)!
They’re an especially great option if your weeknights feel very busy and you want a little more time for yourself.
Since you can set a timer & walk away, it frees you up to spend your time however you want to and still be able to come home to a nourishing, hot meal.
table of contents
Click on each category below to go straight to that section:
what makes these recipes healthy
The truth is, there isn’t a universally agreed upon definition of what makes a recipe healthy.
As an expert on healthy habits, I should know — I’ve interviewed over 200 health and wellness experts on the question of what it really means to be healthy, and have yet to uncover a definition of healthy eating that all experts agree on.
However, I did write the book on what it really means to be healthy, and when it comes to recipes I take a whole, real foods, research-based approach.
With that in mind, all of these recipes are made with whole food ingredients, without any added refined sugar, and do not include processed ingredients or oils.
They are also plant-forward, include whole grains, as well as plenty of colorful, health-filled veggies.
Finally, as a healthy habits expert, I know that a big part of eating healthy is making the process easy.
That’s why all these recipes are not only filled with good-for-you ingredients, but also incredibly simple to prepare.
As always, if you’re following a specific diet for health reasons, consult with your doctor or registered dietitian for specific health advice and check out our nutrition disclaimer for more information.
how to freeze & store leftovers
All of these recipes will keep well in the fridge for up to 3-4 days, in a sealed container.
Many of these recipes also freeze well, store in a sealed freezer friendly container for up to 2-3 months.
more seasonal slow cooker recipe collections
these recipes are all…
I’ve also included some kid-friendly, whole30, paleo, and vegan options too – so there’s something for everyone to enjoy!
Note: Some of the recipes may say “instant pot” in the title, but the recipe cards contain slow cooker instructions too!
vegetarian slow cooker recipes for winter
Crockpot Lentil Soup
Ingredients: green (or brown) lentils, stock, onion, celery, carrot, diced tomatoes, garlic, red wine vinegar, spinach, salt and bay leaves.
Crockpot Creamy Tomato Soup (paleo, whole30, dairy-free)
Ingredients: diced tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, tomato paste, stock, onion, garlic, raw cashews, Italian seasoning and other spices
Slow Cooker Turmeric Lentil Chili
Ingredients: kidney beans, lentils, stock, onion, tomato paste, coconut milk, cumin, turmeric and other spices
Glow Red Lentil Soup (Instant Pot, Crockpot, Stove Top)
Ingredients: red lentils, coconut milk, tomatoes, onion, lime juice, garlic, ginger, turmeric and other spices
easy slow cooker recipes for winter
Instant Pot + Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
Ingredients: chicken breasts (or thighs), chicken stock, carrots, celery, onion, frozen peas, coconut milk, bay leaf and other seasonings
5-Ingredient Slow Cooker Fajita Salsa Chicken
Ingredients: chicken, onion, bell pepper, salsa, lime juice and salt
Crockpot Vegetarian Chili
Ingredients: black beans, pinto beans, kidney beans, bell peppers, onion, fire roasted tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, lime juice, and other spices
crockpot comfort food
Slow Cooker Hamburger Soup
Ingredients: lean ground beef, onion, carrots, celery, tomato paste, chicken stock (or beef stock), olive oil, potatoes, red & yellow bell peppers, red wine vinegar, water, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and salt.
Crockpot Spaghetti Sauce
Ingredients: ground beef, onion, olive oil, tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, honey (optional) and salt.
Easy Crockpot Turkey Meatballs
Ingredients: ground turkey, marinara sauce, basil, spinach, onion, garlic powder, nutritional yeast and salt.
5-Ingredient Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken & Sweet Potatoes
Ingredients: chicken breasts, sweet potatoes, hot sauce, mayo, lime juice, coconut oil and salt
Slow Cooker Carnitas
Ingredients: pork loin roast (or pork shoulder), orange juice, lime juice, cumin, mild chili powder, garlic powder and salt.
winter crockpot chicken dishes
Healthy Slow Cooker Ranch Chicken & Veggies
Ingredients: chicken breasts, chicken stock, potatoes, carrots, yogurt (traditional or plant-based), mayo, apple cider vinegar, and the easiest homemade ranch seasoning
Slow Cooker Chicken with Potatoes and Carrots
Ingredients: whole chicken, baby potatoes, carrots, paprika, garlic, garlic powder, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, rosemary and salt.
5-Ingredient Slow Cooker Garlic Balsamic Chicken
Ingredients: bone-in chicken breasts, balsamic vinegar, garlic, olive oil and salt.
slow cooker soups for winter
Crock Pot Italian Wedding Soup
Ingredients: ground beef (or ground turkey), carrots, celery, onion, nutritional yeast, escarole (or kale), chicken stock, garlic, granulated garlic powder, almond flour (or oat flour), baby spinach, lemon juice, egg (optional) and salt
Instant Pot + Slow Cooker Tuscan Chicken Stew (with Vegetarian Option)
Ingredients: chicken breast (or thigh), stock, potatoes, carrot, celery, onion, fire-roasted tomatoes, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic powder and other seasonings
Crockpot Mini Turkey Meatball Vegetable Soup
Ingredients: ground turkey (or ground beef), onion, carrots, celery, zucchini, tomatoes, stock, spinach, Italian seasoning and other spices
Crockpot Turkey Chili
Ingredients: ground turkey, canned beans, bell peppers, onion, sweet potato, tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, lime juice, and other spices
Crockpot Turkey Soup
Ingredients: cooked turkey, chicken stock, onion, carrot, celery, potatoes, canned coconut milk (or heavy cream), garlic powder, Italian seasoning and salt
6-Ingredient Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Chili
Ingredients: chicken, tomato sauce, chili beans, chunky salsa, cumin, garlic and salt
Thai Inspired Chicken Meatball Soup
Ingredients: ground chicken, rice noodles, chicken stock, almond flour (or oat flour), lemongrass, garlic, ginger, red curry paste, fish sauce, coconut aminos, water, coconut milk, baby spinach, lime juice and salt (includes swaps for vegetarian, vegan, whole30, paleo)
20+ Winter Slow Cooker Recipes: Lentil Soup
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped carrot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or finely grated
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1 ½ cups dry green lentils, (or brown lentils) rinsed and picked over
- 1 15-oz can petite-diced tomatoes
- 6-8 cups vegetable stock, (or chicken stock)
- 1 large bay leaf, (or 2 small bay leaves)
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
Optional Serving Suggestions
- extra virgin olive oil, freshly cracked pepper, freshly grated parmesan cheese (traditional or vegan), fresh parsley, red pepper flakes, crusty bread
Slow Cooker Directions
- Add the onion, celery, carrot, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, lentils, tomatoes, stock and bay leaf to a 6-quart slow cooker, stirring to combine. Do not add the spinach, it will be added at the end.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 6-8 hours, or until the veggies and lentils are soft.
- Remove the lid, remove the bay leaf, add the vinegar, and stir to combine. Add an additional 1-2 cups of stock to thin the soup if necessary. Taste and add the remaining ½ teaspoon salt, plus additional vinegar if desired.
- Using an immersion blender, blend for 5-10 seconds. Alternatively, carefully, remove ½ to 1 cup of cooked soup to a blender. Cover, blend on high, then add back to the soup, stirring to combine. Note: blending for just a few seconds will add a creaminess to the soup, while leaving the texture of most of the lentils and vegetables intact.
- Add the spinach, and stir to combine. Serve with a generous drizzle of olive oil, and any other toppings you like.
Instant Pot Directions
- Set a 6-quart pressure cooker to saute mode for 8 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, onion, a pinch of salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft.
- Cancel the saute function. Add the celery, carrot, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, lentils, tomatoes, stock, and bay leaf, stirring to combine.
- Secure the lid, select the manual setting, and set it to high pressure for 15 minutes.
- When the pressure cooker timer is done, allow to naturally release for 15 minutes.
- Follow remaining slow cooker steps 3-5.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat in a large Dutch oven. Add the onion and a pinch of salt, stirring to combine. Cook until the onions soften, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the celery, carrot, garlic, and 1 teaspoon salt, stirring to combine. Cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the lentils, tomatoes, bay leaf, and stock, stirring to combine. Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Cook, covered, until the lentils are soft, about 35-45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Follow remaining slow cooker steps 3-5.
This post contains affiliate links.