5-Ingredient Slow Cooker Fajita Salsa Chicken is a snap to prep and requires just a handful of ingredients.
“I made this for dinner last night. It was delicious. I made it a freezer meal by freezing the chicken, peppers and salt together in a bag, and then adding the salsa when I put it in the slow cooker. It was a fantastic meal!” ~Sheilina
5-Ingredient Slow Cooker Fajita Salsa Chicken
The perfect recipe for when you’re short on time but still want a delicious, real food dinner, 5-Ingredient Slow Cooker Fajita Salsa Chicken is a snap to prep and requires just a handful of ingredients.
Easy, simple, and delicious, you’ll want to add this one to your weekly rotation!
Do you ever lose momentum with your meal plan about halfway through the week?
Like, Monday you’re super motivated and ambitions.
You have a fridge full of food and you feel amazing.
Yes, you think to yourself, I am awesome.
Then, by about mid-week you’re ready to call it and hit the drive through or grab takeout?
Yeah, that happens to me.
All. The. Time.
I figure I have 2-3 motivated cooks days in me, at the most, during the work week.
However, I have recognized this pattern and now plan no-brainer recipes for later in the week.
I’ve also started planning a crockpot recipe mid-week because Andrew works late and it’s just way too tempting to hit up a takeout place on the way home rather than try to cook something after a full workday while trying at the same time to entertain Elle.
So slow cooker it is!
On that same note, I keep a few ridiculously simple slow cooker recipes that require minimal prep and few ingredients in my back pocket for when things get really hectic.
This Slow Cooker Fajita Salsa Chicken recipe is one of them, and I’ll admit to making this almost weekly.
Because it’s easy and it’s good.
And everyone eats it.
That gives is a giant 5-star rating in my book.
I like to prep this one the night before in the base of the slow cooker, cover, and refrigerate to keep things super simple.
Then in the morning, I just pull it out of the fridge, cover and hit on.
Get the Free Simplified Meal Plan!
slow cooker fajita salsa chicken recipe notes
The spice and a lot of the flavor cooks out of the salsa during the long cooking time, which is good if you’re feeding a child or person who likes things on the slightly bland side.
My daughter LOVES this chicken, as long as I scrape any trace of vegetable or salsa off before I shred it.
God forbid there is a cooked pepper touching the chicken.
I serve her the chicken plain and shredded, along with a preferred veggie, like raw sliced bell pepper or whatever we have in the crisper, and maybe a tortilla and grated cheese to make tacos if we’re feeling crazy.
But I like mine shredded with all the veggies and fresh salsa and lime juice stirred in, plus a healthy dash of hot sauce.
And avocado. Obviously. #alwaysavocado.
It’s great in tacos, or bowls, or topped with any kind of taco fixins’ you like.
Truly a versatile, workhorse recipe that you can bookmark or pin and then turn to again and again.
Recipe Adaptations & Suggestions
1 | Set aside some of the cooked, shredded chicken for resistant eaters. Serve with a veggie of choice.
2 | Use whatever salsa you like, just be sure to check the ingredient list and try to avoid brands with added sugar or with ingredients you can’t pronounce.
3 | This chicken and veggie mixture is extremely versatile, so serve it however you like. Stuffed into tacos, wrapped in lettuce leaves, over brown rice, or just as it is.
4 | Feel free to pile on the toppings. Think sliced avocado, sour cream, grated cheese, chopped cilantro, green onions, or hot sauce.
Kitchen Tools to make 5-Ingredient Slow Cooker Fajita Salsa Chicken
5-Ingredient Slow Cooker Fajita Salsa Chicken is:
Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free, Sugar-Free, Grain-Free, Nut-Free, Whole30, Paleo Friendly
Pin this image to save 5-Ingredient Slow Cooker Fajita Salsa Chicken for later!
5-Ingredient Slow Cooker Fajita Salsa Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1-2 medium yellow onions thinly sliced
- 1-2 medium bell pepper red, yellow, orange or green, thinly sliced
- 1 16- oz jar or container salsa divided (any brand you like, avoid those with added sugar or ingredients you can't pronounce)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Juice of 1 lime about 2 tablespoons
- Add the chicken, onions, peppers, about ⅔ of the salsa, and salt to a 6-quart slow cooker, stirring to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6, or until the chicken and vegetables are very tender.
- Uncover and remove the chicken to a cutting board. Shred with two forks or cut into pieces.
- If there is a lot of liquid in the slow cooker you can drain some off or leave it all in, depending on whether you want a drier or saucier consistency.
- Add back the chicken, the remaining salsa, and lime juice, stirring everything together. Taste and add additional salt, lime juice or salsa if you like.
- Vegetable Side Suggestion: 5-Ingredient Everyday Creamy Slaw
- Set aside some of the cooked, shredded chicken for resistant eaters. Serve with a veggie of choice.
- Use whatever salsa you like, just be sure to check the ingredient list and try to avoid brands with added sugar or with ingredients you can't pronounce.
- This chicken and veggie mixture is extremely versatile, so serve it however you like. Stuffed into tacos, wrapped in lettuce leaves, over brown rice, or just as it is.
- Feel free to pile on the toppings. Think sliced avocado, sour cream, grated cheese, chopped cilantro, green onions, or hot sauce.
More Easy, Real Food Slow Cooker Recipes You’ll LoveEasy Chicken Breast Recipes to Just Throw in Your Slow Cooker Easiest Whole30 Slow Cooker Recipes Slow Cooker Enchilada Chicken
this post contains affiliate links