This easy recipe for shredded chicken for enchiladas is totally simple, completely delicious and the perfect weeknight crockpot recipe.
The chicken recipe is gluten-free and dairy-free, Paleo, and Whole30 compliant too!
“This twin mama thanks you for this tasty and quick meal option. My 10 month old twins thought it was tasty too!“ Erin S.
This Slow Cooker Enchilada Chicken recipe makes a regular appearance at our house because it is just so darn simple and versatile, plus it uses ingredients that are likely on hand in the pantry and fridge or freezer.
No special trip to the grocery store required!
The saucy chicken is also free of artificial ingredients, preservatives, and is gluten-free and dairy-free so it will work for just about everyone.
Easily one of my favorite slow cooker chicken recipes.
uses for shredded enchilada chicken
If you’ve read my book, then you know I’m all about simplifying things.
Less decisions = less stress.
At least one dinner a week, I make an easy slow cooker chicken recipe and this is one of my family’s favorites.
This enchilada chicken comes together with just 5 minutes hands-on prep time and can be used to build lots of different meals.
You can use it to make:
- burrito bowls
- serve over rice or with my easy slow cooker refried beans
Just like my favorite slow cooker carnitas, we love that this makes a lot of leftovers that can be used lots of ways.
We enjoy this enchilada chicken tucked into warm tortillas, in lettuce wraps (Bibb or romaine lettuce work well), on brown rice, topping a heaping bed of greens, or atop baked potatoes to make it a complete meal.
recipe adaptations & suggestions
After you throw this easy recipe in the slow cooker just put out additional toppings such as avocado, cilantro, radishes, sliced green onions, grated cheese, and/or sour cream and you’re good to go.
If you like spicy, go ahead and add a few healthy dashes of hot sauce, too.
A quick note that this recipe makes plenty of yummy enchilada sauce to go with the chicken, but if you prefer something a little less saucy, simple half the amount of tomato sauce used.
I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this recipe but you can also use chicken thighs if you prefer.
If you want to make this in the instant pot instead of your slow cooker, I have a full post showing you the pressure cooker version.
this recipe is…
pin the image below to save for later!
6-Ingredient Slow Cooker Enchilada Chicken
- 2 medium onions thinly sliced
- 1 28-oz can tomato sauce
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon mild chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- Juice of 1 lime
- Hot sauce optional
- Add the sliced onions, tomato sauce, salt, cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder to a 6-quart slow cooker, stirring to combine.
- Nestle the chicken into the slow cooker, making sure it is well covered by the tomato mixture.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7, until the sauce has thickened, the onions are soft, and the chicken is falling apart.
- Remove the chicken and shred with two forks. Add the shredded chicken back to the slow cooker, stirring to combine.
- Add the lime juice and additional salt if desired. Serve warm, adding hot sauce to taste.
- This recipe makes 4-6 servings
- Be sure to use canned tomato sauce in this recipe. Diced or whole tomatoes will not work well. Tomato sauce brands very in consistency from thin to thick, so if you want a thicker sauce add less tomato sauce.
- Serve tucked into warm tortillas, in lettuce wraps (Bibb or romaine lettuce work well), atop baked potatoes, on rice, or topping a heaping bed of greens.
- Add additional toppings such as avocado, cilantro, radishes, sliced green onions, grated cheese, and/or sour cream if desired.
- You can also make this in the instant pot
this post contains affiliate links