Easy Instant Pot Enchilada Chicken
This easy Instant Pot enchilada chicken recipe is made with just a few pantry staples and is the perfect filling for enchiladas, tacos, and more!
Super easy to throw together and incredibly versatile, Instant Pot Enchilada Chicken will be your new weeknight staple recipe!
You know those recipes that you keep in your back pocket for busy weeknights?
The ones you make over and over, because they don’t take long to prep, everyone eats it, and the leftovers are super versatile?
Well, let me introduce to your new back pocket favorite.
Slow Cooker Enchilada Chicken was one of the very first slow cooker recipes I ever posted here on the blog, and it pretty much sums up my style of cooking: simple, no-fuss, super-flavorful, and picky-eater friendly.
So, when I finally decided to jump on the Instant Pot train, this was one of the first recipes I wanted to adapt.
There’s really nothing better than throwing everything in, closing the lid, walking away for a few minutes, and coming back to tender, savory chicken waiting to be devoured.
Unlike the slow cooker version, I like to use the saute function to cook the onions first, adding a layer of flavor to the finished dish.
If you’re really short on time you can skip this step, but I definitely recommend it.
How to Serve Instant Pot Enchilada Chicken
This easy shredded chicken makes the perfect filling for your favorite enchilada recipe, like these easy chicken enchiladas!
I hope you’ll give this one a try soon.
Enchilada Chicken Variations
1 | Omit the onions for an even speedier version of this recipe.
2 | Rather make this one in a slow cooker? Check out this slow cooker enchilada chicken recipe!
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Instant Pot 5-Ingredient Enchilada Chicken
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon mild chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (28-oz) can no-sugar added tomato sauce
- ½ cup water
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, or thighs
- Juice of 1 lime, optional
- Hot sauce, optional
- Set the saute function in a 6-quart electric pressure cooker for 8 minutes.
- Add the olive oil, onions, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook for 8 minutes, or until the onions are soft, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle with cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder. Cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant, stirring constantly.
- Add the water, tomato sauce, remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, and chicken, stirring to combine. Make sure to scrape any bits from the bottom to avoid setting off the burn sensor during cook time.
- Secure the lid, select the manual setting, and set it to high pressure for 15 minutes for fresh chicken, or 20 for frozen. If using frozen chicken, make sure it’s spread in an even layer, without sticking together.
- When the pressure cooker timer is done, quick release the pressure.
- Remove the chicken, and shred or chop into bite sized pieces. Add back to the pressure cooker, stirring to combine. Taste, adding lime juice, hot sauce (if using), and additional salt if desired.
This post contains affiliate links