25+ Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Breast Recipes
A collection of easy, healthy slow cooker chicken breast recipes that you can just toss into your slow cooker. From enchilada chicken to chicken stews and more, these simple chicken breast recipes are the perfect crockpot meals for any night of the week. Trust me, you’ll wanna bookmark this list of easy recipes for later!
About these Slow Cooker Chicken Breast Recipes
Stuck in a chicken dinner rut? We’ve got you covered!
We’ve gathered our favorite dump-and-go slow cooker recipes for you in one easy place.
Everyone’s got their preferred way to cook meat in their kitchen, but slow cooking might be my top choice for chicken, and here’s why…
Just like our go-to slow cooker turkey recipes, crockpot cooking is a great option for anyone with a busy schedule, who’s trying to turn healthy cooking into a happy habit, or who finds chicken cooked with other methods comes out too tough, dry or bland for their liking.
The low & slow cook time helps you transform otherwise plain chicken breasts into totally juicy, tender and flavorful meat.
All you need is a few minutes of hands-on prep, some easy to find ingredients, and you’ll get delicious, consistent results every single time.
If you cook with chicken often but feel like your usual meal rotation could use a refresh, then you need these crockpot chicken breast recipes in your life.
PS – Most (if not all) of these recipes can also be made with chicken thighs, so if you don’t have or don’t prefer chicken breast, you can still enjoy all these delicious easy dinners!
Table of Contents
All of these gluten free slow cooker recipes feature simple good-for-you ingredients, minimal clean up and easy prep steps with flavor profiles designed to be loved by the whole family.
Click on each category below to go straight to that section:
What Makes these Recipes Healthy
The truth is, there isn’t a universally agreed upon definition of what makes a recipe healthy.
As an expert on healthy habits, I should know — I’ve interviewed over 200 health and wellness experts on the question of what it really means to be healthy, and have yet to uncover a definition of healthy eating that all experts agree on.
However, I did write the book on what it really means to be healthy, and when it comes to recipes I take a whole, real foods, research-based approach.
With that in mind, all of these recipes are made with whole food ingredients, without any added refined sugar, and do not include processed ingredients or oils.
They are also plant-forward, include whole grains, as well as plenty of colorful, health-filled veggies.
Finally, as a healthy habits expert, I know that a big part of eating healthy is making the process easy.
That’s why all these recipes are not only filled with good-for-you ingredients, but also incredibly simple to prepare.
As always, if you’re following a specific diet for health reasons, consult with your doctor or registered dietitian for specific health advice and check out our nutrition disclaimer for more information.
Can You Cook Frozen Chicken in the Crock Pot?
I’m often asked if you can use frozen chicken breast into the slow cooker.
The USDA does not recommend putting frozen chicken in the crockpot for food safety reasons.
Instead, they recommend you fully thaw any frozen meat prior to use.
Be sure to refer to your slow cooker instructions, as some do include info and tips for cooking from frozen!
How to Freeze & Store Leftovers
All of these recipes will keep well in the fridge for up to 3-4 days, in a sealed container.
Many of these recipes also freeze well, store in a sealed freezer friendly container for up to 2-3 months.
More Easy Slow Cooker Recipe Collections
These Recipes Are All…
I’ve also included some kid-friendly, whole30, paleo, vegetarian and vegan options too – so there’s something for everyone to enjoy!
Note: Some of the recipes may say “instant pot” in the title, but the recipe cards contain slow cooker instructions too!
chicken soup recipes
Crockpot Loaded Mexican Chicken Soup
Ingredients: chicken breasts (or thighs), chicken stock, zucchini, tomato sauce, leafy greens, onion, chili powder, cumin and other seasonings
Instant Pot + Crockpot Sunshine Lemon Chicken Chowder
Ingredients: chicken breasts (or thighs), baby potatoes, celery, cauliflower, onion, chicken stock, coconut milk, lemon juice, turmeric and other seasonings
Nourishing Instant Pot Turmeric Chicken Soup
Ingredients: chicken breasts (or thighs), chicken stock, carrot, celery, onion, turmeric, olive oil and seasonings
Slow Cooker Chicken, Kale, and Sweet Potato Soup
Ingredients: chicken breasts (or thighs), sweet potatoes, lacinato kale, chicken stock, extra virgin olive oil, Italian seasoning
Slow Cooker Chicken and Chickpea Stew
Ingredients: chicken breast (or thigh), chickpeas, stock, onion, carrot, garlic, diced tomatoes, spinach, dried apricots, lemon juice and other spices.
Slow Cooker Chicken, Veggie, and Quinoa Stew
Ingredients: chicken breast (or thigh), stock, quinoa, zucchini, corn, garlic, onion, carrots, chickpeas, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning and other spices
Instant Pot + Slow Cooker Tuscan Chicken Stew (with Vegetarian Option)
Ingredients: chicken breast (or thigh), stock, potatoes, carrot, celery, onion, fire-roasted tomatoes, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic powder and other seasonings
chicken chili recipes
Easy Crockpot White Chicken Chili
Ingredients: chicken breast, stock, white beans, mild green chilis, salsa verde, onion, garlic powder, cumin, cream cheese (traditional or dairy-free).
Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Chili (Dump and Go)
Ingredients: chicken, tomato sauce, beans, salsa, cumin, garlic and salt.
easy shredded chicken breast recipes
Slow Cooker Tropical Pulled Chicken
Ingredients: chicken breasts or chicken thighs, gluten-free tamari, honey, grated ginger, canned crushed pineapple, tomato paste, garlic powder, onion powder and salt.
Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken with 5-Ingredient Peanut Sauce
Ingredients: chicken, broccoli, bell peppers, peanut butter, garlic, maple syrup, vinegar and other spices.
Slow Cooker Lemon Herb Chicken
Ingredients: chicken, lemon juice, dijon mustard, Italian seasoning, garlic
5-Ingredient Slow Cooker Apple Cider Pulled Chicken
Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken with Tomatoes and Basil
Ingredients: chicken, roma or cherry tomatoes, garlic, basil, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and salt.
Slow Cooker Pulled BBQ Chicken
Ingredients: chicken breasts, tomato sauce, honey, molasses, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, apple cider vinegar and salt.
healthy slow cooker chicken breast recipes
Instant Pot + Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
Ingredients: chicken breasts (or thighs), chicken stock, carrots, celery, onion, frozen peas, coconut milk, bay leaf and other seasonings
Slow Cooker Peach Chicken with Basil
Ingredients: chicken breasts (or chicken thighs), onion, balsamic vinegar, peaches, basil, garlic powder and salt.
6-Ingredient Slow Cooker Enchilada Chicken
Ingredients: chicken breasts (or chicken thighs), onion, garlic powder, cumin, lime juice, tomato sauce, chili powder and salt.
Slow Cooker Chicken, Black Bean, and Quinoa Stew
Ingredients: chicken breasts (or thighs), canned black beans, fire-roasted tomatoes & green chilis, quinoa, chicken stock, carrots, onion, lime juice, cumin and other seasonings
5-Ingredient Slow Cooker Garlic Balsamic Chicken
Ingredients: bone-in chicken breasts, balsamic vinegar, garlic, olive oil and salt.
dump & go slow cooker chicken breast recipes
3-Ingredient Crockpot Salsa Chicken Stuffed Potatoes
Ingredients: chicken breasts or chicken thighs, salsa, and russet potatoes.
Instant Pot Chicken, Apples & Cabbage
Ingredients: chicken, onion, apples, cabbage, garlic powder, apple cider, apple cider vinegar and other seasonings
Slow Cooker Ranch Chicken & Veggies
Ingredients: chicken breasts, chicken stock, potatoes, carrots, yogurt (traditional or plant-based), mayo, apple cider vinegar, homemade ranch seasoning.
5-Ingredient Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken & Sweet Potatoes
Ingredients: chicken breasts, sweet potatoes, hot sauce, mayo, lime juice, coconut oil and salt
5-Ingredient Slow Cooker Fajita Salsa Chicken
Ingredients: chicken, onion, bell pepper, salsa, lime juice and salt
25+ Slow Cooker Chicken Breast Recipes: Chicken Stew
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, or thighs*
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped yellow or red waxy potato
- 1 15-ounce can diced fire-roasted tomato
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, dried herb mix
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 32 ounces chicken , or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
Just before serving:
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder, can substitute cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Extra virgin olive oil, for serving
- Freshly ground black pepper
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Add the chicken, carrots, celery, onion, potato, tomato, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, granulated garlic, stock, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, olive oil and salt to a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high until the chicken and veggies are cooked through, about 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low (times vary depending on slow cooker).
- Mix together the water, arrowroot powder, and balsamic until smooth. Pour mixture into the slow cooker, stirring to combine. Cover and cook on high an additional 5 minutes until the stew begins to thicken.
- Remove the chicken and shred or dice. Add back to the slow cooker, stir, and taste, adding additional salt if desired. Serve warm with a generous drizzle of olive oil and freshly ground pepper.
Instant Pot Instructions
- Cook the carrots, celery and onion for 5 minutes in 1 tablespoon of olive oil using the saute function on your Instant Pot, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken and cook for 3 minutes on each side, until lightly browned.
- Add the tomato paste, Italian seasoning, and granulated garlic, cooking for one additional minute, stirring occasionally minute.
- Turn off the sautee function. Add the remaining ingredients (except for the water, cornstarch and 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar) to the Instant Pot, stirring to combine.
- Cook on high pressure for 6 minutes, then do a natural pressure release.
- Remove the chicken, shred or dice, and add back to the pot.
- Mix together the water, arrowroot powder, and balsamic until smooth. Pour mixture into the pot, stirring to combine. Serve warm with a generous drizzle of olive oil and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Follow the Instant Pot instructions 1-4, above.
- Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook 20-30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the veggies are tender.
- Follow the Instant Pot instructions 6-7 above, then serve.