Crockpot white chicken chili is an easy prep, dump and go recipe, made with healthy ingredients. It’s deliciously creamy without any dairy!
We are huge fans of slow cooker chili around here, as it’s always a crowd pleaser recipe, and can be made ahead with a mostly hands-off cook time, making it perfect for busy weeknights or relaxed weekends at home.
Chicken chili is a particular favorite, and you can find our 6-Ingredient Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Chili on the menu often.
This slow cooker white chicken chili is another twist, using healthy ingredients like chicken, white beans and green chilis for a completely easy dinner anytime.
It’s also made thick and creamy without any dairy, and is very mild, making it a hit with just about anyone.
how to thicken crockpot white chicken chili
We use three methods to thicken this slow cooker white chicken chili.
First, we puree a bit of the beans with the cooking liquid to create a smooth thick and creamy finish without any cream.
Second, we add a bit of dairy-free creamy cheese at the end to bump up the creaminess, creating a luscious and delicious texture.
Of course, you can use traditional cream cheese, or skip this step altogether.
Third, allow the chicken chili to cool for about 30 minutes, which will allow it to thicken naturally.
ingredients for crockpot white chicken chili
- Use boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, either will work in this recipe.
- If you happen to have leftover rotisserie chicken or cooked turkey, that will also work here.
- To keep the chicken chili white, we call for white beans like Great Northern or cannellini. You could also use black beans, as well as pinto beans for extra color.
- If you love corn, feel free to add a cup of fresh, frozen defrosted, or canned along with the beans.
- This chili is very mild, but if you want it spicier, use spicy green chilis and spicy green salsa verde.
how to store or freeze leftovers
- Homemade white bean chicken chili will keep well in the fridge for up to 3-4 days, in a sealed container
- This recipe also freezes well, store in a sealed freezer friendly container for up to 2-3 months
This recipe can be made ahead! Perfect for meal prep on busy weeks (or anytime you need to feed a crowd quickly & easily)
what to serve with slow cooker chicken chili
- Don’t forget those toppings! Think avocado, sour cream (traditional or dairy-free), chopped onion, cilantro, fresh lime juice, jalapenos, Monterey jack cheese or dairy-free cheese shreds.
- You can also add crunchy tortilla chips, a warm tortilla or even these one-bowl cornbread muffins on the side for dipping
this recipe is…
I hope you’ll make this healthy Crockpot White Chicken Chili recipe soon.
If you do, be sure to share it on Instagram and tag me at @realfoodwholelife so I can see!
Crockpot White Chicken Chili
- 1 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 15-oz cans white beans drained and rinsed (such as Great Northern or cannellini)
- 1 4.5-oz can mild diced green chilis
- 1 cup mild green salsa verde (tomatillo salsa), divided
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp granulated garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½-1 tsp kosher salt
- 4 tbsp cream cheese (traditional or dairy free)
- avocado, sour cream (traditional or dairy-free), crushed tortilla chips, chopped onion, cilantro, fresh lime juice, jalapeno, Monterey jack cheese or dairy-free cheese shreds
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Add the chicken, onion, white beans, green chilis, 1 cup of salsa verde, chicken stock, garlic powder, cumin, and salt to a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- Uncover, remove the chicken, and shred with two forks or dice into chunks.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the bean mixture for 5-10 seconds. Alternatively, carefully, remove ½ to 1 cup of the bean mixture to a blender. Cover, blend on high, then add back to the chili, stirring to combine. Note: blending for just a few seconds will add a creaminess to the creaminess, while leaving the texture of most of the beans.
- Ladle a few tablespoons of the bean mixture into a medium bowl. Add the cream cheese and stir until well incorporated.
- Add the chicken back to the slow cooker, along with the cream cheese mixture, stirring to combine. Taste and add additional salt or salsa if desired.
- Serve with any toppings you like.
Instant Pot Instructions
- Add the chicken, onion, white beans, green chilis, 1 cup of salsa verde, chicken stock, garlic powder, cumin, and salt to a 6-quart pressure cooker.
- Cover and set to high pressure for 20 minutes. Allow to naturally release for 10 minutes, then quick release.
- Follow remaining slow cooker steps 4-6.
- Add the chicken, onion, white beans, green chilis, 1 cup of salsa verde, chicken stock, garlic powder, cumin, and salt to a large Dutch oven.
- Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer. Cook on medium-low heat, covered, for 40-60 minutes, until the chicken is tender and easily shreds with a fork, stirring occasionally.
- Follow remaining slow cooker steps 4-6.
This post contains affiliate links.