Fresh out of the oven, One-Bowl Cornbread Muffins (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free) are tender, slightly sweet, and perfect as a side or on their own.
Is there anything better than a perfectly tender, slightly sweet, warm-from-the-oven cornbread muffin?
I don’t think so.
Cornbread muffins are so versatile, too, as they make the perfect side to just about any meal. Soups, stews, chilis, you name it. Cornbread muffins round out a meal and add a little something special.
This version is particularly easy to throw together (only one-bowl required!) and bakes in under 20 minutes, making it totally doable on a busy weeknight.
Muffins are a great baking project to do with kids, too, and I’ve been using this recipe as an after-school activity with Elle lately.
She helps me gather the ingredients from the fridge and pantry, cracks the eggs, stirs everything together, and helps to spoon the batter into the muffin tins.
There’s a bit of a mess to clean up at the end, but we it’s a really fun way to spend time together and she is thrilled to see the final results when they come out of the oven.
Plus we get to eat the results! Slathered with raw honey or jam, or just straight-up, these make the best snack. They also freeze well, so you have make them ahead and then grab a few from the freezer to go with dinner any night of the week.
I hope you’ll give these a try soon. Now let’s make some One-Bowl Cornbread Muffins!
RECIPE & KID-FRIENDLY ADAPTATIONS
- Omit the honey for a completely sugar-free option.
- Mix in 1/2 cup fresh or frozen, defrosted corn to the batter for extra texture.
- Serve on the side of a soup like this nourishing instant pot turmeric chicken soup or this slow cooker pumpkin soup with canned pumpkin
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
One-Bowl Cornbread Muffins (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil plus more for greasing the pan
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ⅔ cup plain unsweetened almond milk (or any non-dairy milk)
- 1 ½ cups oat flour*
- 1 cup finely ground yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Heat the oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, eggs, honey and almond milk until smooth. Add the oat flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt, stirring until just combined.
- Spoon 2-3 heaping tablespoons of the batter at a time into a greased muffin pan.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the edges begin to pull away from the sides and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Serve warm or cool completely and store or freeze.