Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
This easy slow cooker turkey chili is a simple, healthy chili that’s super easy to prep! So delicious and crowd-pleasing, it’s a sure hit as a weeknight dinner, game day spread, or cozy meal for a weekend in.
This easy, healthy slow cooker turkey chili recipe is perfect for busy days, game days, or any day you just want to set the slow cooker and forget it.
Hearty ingredients like ground turkey, 3-beans, and diced sweet potato combine with delicious spices for a warm & cozy chili.
The best part is that the prep can be accomplished in just under 20 minutes, making it the best turkey chili crockpot recipe you’ve ever tasted!
How to Make the Best Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
I tested this as a dump-and-go slow cooker recipe, but the texture of the turkey came out mushy and the flavor just wasn’t there.
So, for this reason, this recipe requires a quick sauté the ground turkey meat and onions for the best flavor.
After that, though, you simply add the ingredients to the crockpot and the rest of the cook time is hands-off!
The low & slow cook time also allows the turkey and vegetables to get super tender, and for all the flavors to meld, which makes it better tasting than chili cooked quickly on the stovetop.
Note that this healthy slow cooker recipe makes a lot, so it’s perfect for easy entertaining, feeding a crowd, or to freeze extra servings for lunch or dinner another day!
Tip: For more turkey recipes and leftover ideas, check out these yummy Slow Cooker Turkey Recipes.
What to Serve with Homemade Chili
Load up on all the toppings! For the best flavor, pile slow cooker turkey chili high with any fresh toppings you like.
Here’s some of my favorites to get you inspired:
Chopped onion, cilantro or thinly sliced radishes.
Sliced jalapeños or an extra dash of hot sauce.
Creamy ingredients like avocado, sour cream, and cheese.
Something crunchy like tortilla chips or crushed crackers.
Crusty bread or these one bowl cornbread muffins for dipping.
A simple side salad of crisp Romaine lettuce tossed with this honey chipotle dressing.
For more sides inspo check out this list of over 10 easy sides to serve with chili.
How to Store or Freeze Leftover Turkey Chili
Homemade turkey chili will keep well in the fridge for up to 3-4 days, in a sealed container.
This recipe also freezes well, so store in a sealed freezer friendly container for up to 2-3 months.
Make Ahead Tip: This recipe can be made ahead, making it perfect for meal prep on busy weeks (or anytime you need to feed a crowd quickly & easily). Cook, cool, then gently reheat when ready to serve.
Key Ingredient Notes & Substitution Suggestions
Onion: Red onion can also be used, or leave it out if you don’t like onions.
Ground Turkey: For best flavor, use 93% lean. You can also use 99% lean turkey. It might be slightly drier, but will still taste good. Lean ground beef also works great in place of ground turkey in this homemade chili recipe.
Beans: I use a 3-bean mix for this turkey chili, including black, pinto, and kidney beans. You can feel free to use what you have on hand. Chili beans and white beans will also work. Or use three cans of any singular type of bean.
Sweet potato: To make this slow cooker turkey chili without sweet potato, substitute diced carrot or butternut squash.
Hot sauce: Without the hot sauce this slow cooker chili is extremely mild. Adding the hot sauce at the end adds a much needed kick of spice and tang. If you’re sensitive to spice, skip the hot sauce but add extra lime juice and a bit more salt instead.
Tip: If you want to make a meatless version of this slow cooker turkey chili, try this Crockpot Vegetarian Chili recipe instead!
This Recipe Is…
Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb 93% lean dark meat ground turkey
- 2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1 tsp granulated garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp mild chili powder
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup peeled and diced sweet potato
- 1 15-oz can no-sugar added tomato sauce
- 1 15-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
To Add at the End
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp hot sauce, (optional)
Optional Serving Suggestions:
- Easy Guacamole
- Chopped onion, cilantro, jalapeno, avocado, sour cream, cheese, chips
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the turkey, sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt, then stir, breaking the ground turkey apart with a wooden spoon.
- Allow the turkey to brown on one side, about 4-5 minutes, then stir to flip the turkey. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, and additional ½ teaspoon salt. Stir to combine.
- Cook an additional 3-4 minutes until the turkey is browned and the onion and pepper are softened, stirring occasionally.
- Carefully transfer the turkey, onion, and bell pepper mixture to a 6-quart slow cooker. Add the sweet potato, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, and 1 teaspoon salt. Stir until well combined.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 6-7 hours.
- Uncover, stir, and add the lime juice and hot sauce if using. Taste and add additional salt or hot sauce if desired. Serve with toppings of your choice.