Skip the processed ranch packets and make your own to use in this easy, delicious Healthy Slow Cooker Ranch Chicken & Veggies!
Even though it’s still hot, hot, hot here in Portland, we’re gearing up for fall in a big way.
My little starts kindergarten the day after Labor Day, and between her school, my job, my husband’s job, the blog, and a few new projects, it’s looking like this season is going to be very full.
Whenever our schedule’s get extra hectic the slow cooker is always my fallback.
Knowing I can throw a bunch of ingredients in the night before or morning of and having dinner warm and waiting for us makes all the difference in the world.
This Healthy Slow Cooker Ranch Chicken & Veggies is one of our new family favorites and couldn’t be simpler to make.
I like to whip up a double or triple batch of the ranch mix ahead of time so dinner prep is extra streamlined during the week.
The fact that this recipe uses a homemade ranch mix means you can skip all the processed junk in the store version, and keep this recipe paleo, dairy-free, and Whole30 friendly–just be sure to use a dariy-free yogurt in the dressing.
The ranch flavor of the cooked chicken and veggies is very subtle, making it great for people with sensitive palates.
If you love big ranch flavor, though, you’ll want to douse everything in plenty of the homemade dressing. Yum.
I hope you enjoy this one. Now, let’s make some Healthy Slow Cooker Ranch Chicken & Veggies
RECIPE & KID-FRIENDLY ADAPTATIONS
1 | Use boneless, skinless thighs in place of breasts if you prefer.
2 | Serve the chicken, veggies and Ranch Dressing separately on a plate for resistant eaters.
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Naturally Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Nut-Free, Grain-Free, Paleo and Whole30 Friendly
Healthy Slow Cooker Ranch Chicken & Veggies
Homemade Ranch Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Chicken & Veggies
- 3 cups ½-inch diced yellow waxy potato
- 3 cups ½-inch diced carrots
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (or substitute boneless, skinless thighs)
- 1 tablespoon Ranch Seasoning divided
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
For the Ranch Dressing
- ⅓ cup whole milk plain greek yogurt or non-dairy yogurt
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil mayo*
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons Ranch Seasoning
- Make the Ranch Seasoning by stirring together the onion powder, garlic powder, dried dill and salt until well combined.
- Place the potato and carrots in the base of a 6-quart slow cooker. Add the chicken stock and ½ tablespoon Ranch Seasoning, tossing to combine. Add the chicken breasts, sprinkle with an additional ½ tablespoon Ranch Seasoning and ½ teaspoon kosher salt.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6, or until the chicken is just cooked through. Times will vary depending on the make and model of your slow cooker.
- Meanwhile, make the Ranch Dressing by whisking together the yogurt, mayo, apple cider vinegar, and 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Ranch Seasoning. Taste and adjust seasonings if desired.
- Remove the chicken and veggies from the slow cooker. Slice the chicken and serve with the veggies and sauce on the side for drizzling or dipping.