20-Minute Stovetop Chicken Pot Pie (Dairy-Free) is a super-fast weeknight dinner that’s as easy as it is delicious. A naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo, whole30 recipe.
Are you a chicken pot pie fan?
I didn’t actually grow up eating the homestyle dish that often, but I know it’s a total comfort food classic, so I wanted to add my own spin on the favorite.
My first version is this Crockpot + Instant Pot version, which has been a huge reader favorite.
This time around I wanted to come up with a weeknight version, one that can be made on the stovetop with minimal fuss or prep.
Of course, this version is missing the crusty top, but I find it still hits all the classic notes, and it a lot lighter and easier to prepare.
The recipe is also naturally gluten-free and dairy-free, making it work even if you’re following a special diet.
This one will also work if you’re following a paleo or whole30 diet, just be sure to use a frozen veggie mix that doesn’t include peas or corn (a mix of frozen green beans and carrots would work well).
I love serving this atop rice, cauliflower rice, or with biscuits or muffins on the side, but it’s also just as delicious as a stand-alone one-pot meal.
I hope you’ll make this one soon. If you do, be sure to share it on Instagram and tag me at @realfoodwholelife so I can see!
Now, let’s make some 20-Minute Stovetop Chicken Pot Pie!
Recipe & Kid Friendly Adaptations
1 | Serve atop rice, cauliflower rice, or with biscuits or muffins on the side.
2 | Double the recipe for big families or large gatherings.
3 | Following a paleo or whole30 diet? Be sure to use a frozen veggie mix that doesn’t include peas or corn (a mix of frozen green beans and carrots would work well).
This Recipe Is
gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, mayo-free, nut-free, grain-free, soy-free, paleo, and whole30
Tools to Make 20-Minute Stovetop Chicken Pot Pie (Dairy-Free)Dutch Oven 8-inch chef knife My Favorite Cutting Board
Pin the Image Below To Save 20-Minute Stovetop Chicken Pot Pie (Dairy-Free) to Pinterest for Later!
20-Minute Stovetop Chicken Pot Pie (Dairy-Free)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon no-salt added poultry seasoning
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk from a can
- 2 cups frozen vegetable blend carrots, green beans, peas, corn; omit corn + peas for paleo/whole30
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot powder*
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until golden on one side, flip, and cook 3-4 more minutes. Remove the chicken onto a plate or bowl and set aside.
- Add the onion, sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt, and add the garlic, and poultry seasoning. Cook 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the chicken, chicken stock, coconut milk, vegetables, and 1 teaspoon of salt, stirring to combine. Cover, bring to a boil, then uncover and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 5-8 minutes, until the vegetables are just tender and the chicken is cooked, stirring occasionally.
- Carefully ladle a few tablespoons of the broth into a bowl. Add the arrowroot, whisking until completely smooth. Add the arrowroot mixture back to the pot, stirring to combine. Simmer 1-2 more minutes, until it begins to thicken.
- Taste, adding additional salt if desired.