This Easy Italian Chicken Zucchini Skillet combines chicken, zucchini, tomatoes and classic Italian flavors for an easy, one-pot dinner you can make any night of the week.
A naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo, whole30 friendly meal that’s ready in under 30 minutes!
It’s no secret that I’m a big fan of easy healthy one pot meals.
Especially the ones that come together in less than 30 minutes.
This Italian Chicken Zucchini Skillet is one of those recipes you’ll want to keep in your back pocket all year long.
It has easy-to-find ingredients, minimal prep steps, and can be made with either chicken breasts or chicken thighs.
The tomatoes, stock and herbs combine to create a delicious simmer sauce that tenderizes and flavors the chicken & veggies.
Resulting in a totally delicious, satisfying dish that the whole family will love!
more ways to use this italian chicken zucchini skillet recipe
- Serve over pasta with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and extra fresh basil on top
- Add some crusty bread (or these one-bowl cornbread muffins) on the side for soaking up the sauce
- Put a large leafy green salad on the table for sharing (like this simple chopped kale salad)
- Serve over warm rice or orzo for an even more substantial meal
how to store italian chicken zucchini skillet leftovers
- Cooked chicken breast or chicken thighs will keep well in the fridge for up to 3-4 days, in a sealed container
- This recipe also freezes well, store in a sealed freezer friendly container for up to 2-3 months
recipe notes, modifications & adaptations
- You can add mushrooms along with the zucchini for more variety
- Yellow squash also works in place of the zucchini in this dish
- Use dairy-free butter to keep this recipe dairy-free, or omit for Whole30
This recipe works well with either chicken breasts or chicken thighs. If you prefer juicer chicken, use thighs instead.
this recipe is…
I hope you’ll make this healthy chicken skillet with zucchini recipe soon. If you do, be sure to share it on Instagram and tag me at @realfoodwholelife so I can see!
Easy Italian Chicken Zucchini Skillet
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tsp no-salt added Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp kosher salt divided
- 4 cups 1-inch diced zucchini (from about 4 medium zucchini)
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced or grated
- 1 15-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp butter*
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh basil thinly sliced
- red pepper flakes to taste
- In a large 12-inch skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Add the chicken in one layer, taking care not to overlap the pieces. Sprinkle with the Italian seasoning and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Cook the chicken undisturbed, until golden brown on one side, about 5 minutes. Flip, and cook an additional 3 minutes until browned on both sides and just cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the zucchini, sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt, and cook until just tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken stock, stirring to deglaze, then add tomato paste and diced tomatoes, stirring until well combined.
- Add the cooked chicken back to the pan, turn the heat to medium low, and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, until the sauce is slightly reduced.
- Turn off the heat, add the butter, and stir to combine. Taste the sauce and add additional salt if desired. Serve sprinkled with basil and red pepper flakes to taste.
This post contains affiliate links