20-Minute Southwest Beef & Sweet Potato Skillet is a super simple and crazy flavorful weeknight meal that everyone will love. A gluten-free, dairy-free, whole30, one-pan recipe.
Who else needs more one-pot meals in their lives?
I know I do, and you may have noticed that I’ve been sharing more and more recipes that require just one-pot or skillet around here for just that reason.
The truth is, as much as I prioritize putting a nourishing, healthy dinner on the table, I simply don’t love complicated, fussy recipes at the end of a long day.
And of course, any recipe that saves me from doing hours of dishes is good in my book.
This 20-Minute Southwest Beef & Sweet Potato Skillet is such a winner, and is packed with vibrant flavors that will having you returning to it again and again.
Plus, hello, it’s all done in one skillet.
A quick note that you’ll want to use a skillet that has enough room for all the ingredients, preferably with a lid to cover.
Honestly, I used a baking sheet to cover, since my skillet doesn’t have a lid, so as long as you cover with something, you should be good to go.
I hope you’ll make this one soon. If you do, be sure to share it on Instagram and tag me at @realfoodwholelife so I can see!
Now, let’s make some 20-Minute Southwest Beef & Sweet Potato Skillet!
Recipe & Kid Friendly Adaptations
1 | Ground dark meat turkey or chicken will work in place of the beef.
2 | Skip the chili powder if you (or someone in your family) doesn’t like the heat, or double up if you like it spicy.
3 | This is a perfect one-pot meal, but if you’re feeding a crew of hungry people, offer tortillas, rice, or chips on the side to fill out dinner.
This Recipe Is
gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, mayo-free, nut-free, grain-free, soy-free, paleo, and whole30
Tools to Make 20-Minute Southwest Beef & Sweet Potato Skillet
Pin the Image Below To Save Southwest Beef & Sweet Potato Skillet to Pinterest for Later!
20-Minute Southwest Beef & Sweet Potato Skillet
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 pound 10% ground beef grass-fed if possible
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 4 cups 1-inch chopped sweet potato
- 1 15-oz can petite diced tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon mild chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup packed baby spinach
- Juice of 1 lime
- Optional toppings: sliced avocado fresh cilantro, hot sauce
- In a large, 10” skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the beef, sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt, and stir to break into small pieces.
- Cook, stirring beef occasionally, until the beef is browned and cooked through, about 8 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- To the same pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the sweet potatoes, sprinkle with the chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin ½ teaspoon salt, and stirring to combine. Add the diced tomatoes and water, stirring to scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Cover, reduce to a simmer, and cook until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a splash more water if the pan starts to dry out.
- Uncover, and add the cooked beef and spinach, cooking until the beef is warmed through and the spinach is wilted, about 1 minute, adding a splash more water if the pan is dry.
- Add the lime juice, stirring to combine. Taste and add additional salt if desired. Serve as-is, or with any topping you like.