Easy to make ahead and packed with flavor, Chopped Kale Salad with Tahini Citrus Dressing is just the thing to pack for lunch, a picnic or a potluck.
I’ll admit it, I’m not a huge fan of kale.
At least not raw kale. It’s hard to chew and just doesn’t taste that good, at least to me.
I know how power-packed it is, though, so I’m always looking for ways to make the dark, leafy greens more palatable.
A rich, flavorful dressing definitely helps (hello Tahini Citrus Dressing!) as does massaging the kale with a few tablespoons of dressing.
Massaging the kale helps to break it down, makes it more tender, and adds flavor. Definitely worth trying this method if you haven’t already.
Tons of other crunchy veggies and sweet fruit also help take kale to the next level, and a sprinkling of toasty almonds seals the deal with flavor and more crunch.
In addition to making kale crave-worthy, I love that this salad can be made ahead and packed for lunch on the go, taken to a picnic, or wrapped up for a potluck.
You’ll probably end up with some extra Tahini Citrus Dressing, and I’ve provided some ideas for how to use it in the notes below.
The amount you use in the actual salad is really personal preference, so taste as you go until you find the right balance for you.
I hope you’ll give this one a try soon. Now, let’s make some Chopped Kale Salad with Tahini Citrus Dressing!
RECIPE & KID-FRIENDLY ADAPTATIONS
1 | Add 2 cups cooked brown or wild rice along with the remaining dressing for a yummy twist.
2 | Use any remaining dressing for another batch of the salad, or as a dressing for salads, bowls, veggies, chicken or fish.
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Naturally Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Grain-Free, Egg-Free, Soy-Free, Nut-Free (omit the almonds), Vegan, Vegetarian, Paleo and Whole30 Friendly
Chopped Kale Salad with Tahini Citrus Dressing
For the Dressing
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons tahnini*
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 medium garlic clove grated or finely minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
For the Salad
- 4 cups tightly packed thinly sliced kale
- 1 cup chopped apple
- 1 cup chopped grapes
- 1 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 cup chopped sugar snap peas
- 1 cup grated carrot
- ⅓ cup chopped toasted almonds
- In a medium bowl whisk together the lemon juice, orange juice, tahini, salt, and garlic. Slowly whisk in the olive oil, and continue whisking until smooth. Alternatively, add all the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the kale and 3 tablespoons dressing to a large bowl. Massage the dressing into the kale, squeezing and kneading until the kale is bright green and tender.
- Add the apple, grapes, cabbage, snap peas, and carrot. Add ¼ cup dressing, tossing to combine. Taste and add additional dressing if desired. The amount of dressing is personal preference, so continue tasting and adding until you find the right ratio. (Use the remaining dressing for another batch of the salad, or as a dressing for salads, bowls, veggies, chicken or fish).
- Add the almonds, toss, and serve. If making ahead, add the almonds right before serving, along with a splash more dressing to brighten the flavors.