Slow Cooker Peach Chicken with Basil
Slow Cooker Peach Chicken with Basil combines juicy peaches, balsamic vinegar, and fresh basil for an easy, flavorful dinner anytime. Easy enough to throw together on a weeknight, this one’s bound to become a new family-favorite recipe!
About this Slow Cooker Peach Chicken with Basil Recipe
Unpopular opinion? I love using my slow cooker ALL year long.
In the winter it’s a no-brainer, churning out warming and hearty soups and stews.
But it’s also the perfect warm weather solution, helping to get dinner on the table without heating up the kitchen.
So I wanted to come up with a fresh new summer inspired slow cooker recipe for you.
And when I saw fresh peaches coming into the market I knew I wanted to pair them with basil in this oh-so-simple dinner.
Together with the balsamic vinegar and onions, this family-friendly chicken dinner creates its own delicious sauce as it cooks low & slow in the crockpot.
This recipe makes a lot of shredded chicken, so you can enjoy leftovers all week! Add them to veggie & grain bowls, on top of simple green salads, or enjoy stuffed into a bun (the options are almost endless!).
Process & Tips
This is one of our favorite dump and go slow cooker recipes and it’s so easy to throw together on busy weeks!
All you have to do is throw these simple ingredients in the slow cooker, turn it on, and a few hours later you’ll have an amazing meal just waiting to be served.
I find that slow cooker chicken recipes can be a little flat after cooking for hours, so for this recipe I add a splash of vinegar and extra pinch of salt at the end of the cooking process to brighten up the flavors.
I also top the cooked shredded chicken with sliced peaches and plenty of basil to kick up the summer flavors an extra notch (and add a punch of color).
What to Serve with Slow Cooker Peach Chicken with Basil
You can serve this chicken as-is, atop greens, cooked rice, quinoa, cauliflower rice or piled into a bun.
Add a veggie alongside to round things out, something-green like simple steamed broccoli or snap peas or even this creamy purple cabbage slaw would be a great choice.
My husband, Andrew and I also added plenty of hot sauce for a little something extra (I don’t know about you but I’m a big fan of a good sweet & spicy flavor combo!).
Looking for a grilled peach chicken recipe? Try this Peach Chicken Basil Glow Bowls with a delicious, summery peach dressing and mixed grilled veggies!
Ingredients & Modifications
Chicken Breasts: I used boneless skinless chicken breasts but chicken thighs also work great in this recipe! Feel free to use whichever is your favorite. If you want to use frozen chicken, make sure to fully defrost it before adding to your crockpot.
Peaches: Look for medium sized peaches and don’t worry about peeling them before cutting them into slices. They add a light sweetness that balances the other salty, tangy, and savory flavors super well. If you want to use frozen peaches, be sure to thaw them before adding to your slow cooker.
Basil: Fresh basil leaves have got to be one of my favorite ingredients, there’s nothing quite like it! Since it’s such a delicate herb & flavor, wait to add it until the end for the best flavor.
Onion: I love the extra savory flavor that onion adds to home cooked dishes, but feel free to omit them from the recipe if you don’t like them. The dish will be fine without them.
Balsamic vinegar: The balsamic vinegar goes perfectly with the peaches & onions mixture. It’s also my secret way of lifting up the flavors of the dish, I add it after the low & slow cook time to freshen and brighten everything up.
Garlic powder: I love the convenience and ease of using granulated garlic powder in this recipe, but you could also use fresh minced garlic if you prefer.
Kosher salt: Look for kosher salt with the regular iodized salt at the grocery store (it has a subtler flavor). Use less iodized salt if that’s what you have on hand.
Meal Prep Tips & How to Store Leftover Crockpot Peach Chicken
Cooked chicken will keep well in the fridge for up to 3-4 days, in a sealed container.
This recipe also freezes well, store in a sealed freezer friendly container for up to 2-3 months.
This recipe can be made ahead! Perfect for meal prep on busy weeks (or anytime you need to feed a crowd quickly & easily).
This Recipe Is…
More Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
Slow Cooker Peach Chicken with Basil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, or thighs
- 1 large white or yellow onion, very thinly sliced
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 6 medium peaches, no need to peel, sliced
- ¼ cup tightly packed basil leaves, thinly sliced
- hot sauce to taste, optional
- Place the sliced onions in the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker along with 1 teaspoon salt, garlic powder, and 1/4 cup vinegar. Stir in peach slices from 4 peaches, then nestle the chicken breasts into the mix, covering with some of the peach-onion mixture. Set aside 2 peaches and the basil—these will go in at the end.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- When ready to serve, turn off the heat and remove the chicken breasts or thighs to a cutting board. Shred the chicken with two forks or slice against the grain. Set aside.
- Chop the remaining 2 peaches and add them to the slow cooker, stirring to combine. Taste the sauce, adding an additional 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar and 1 teaspoon salt if desired.
- Return the chicken to the slow cooker, stirring to coat with sauce.
- Remove the chicken, spooning the fresh peaches and desired amount of sauce on top. Discard any remaining sauce, or save it to store with any leftover chicken to keep it moist.
- Serve the chicken and sauce sprinkled with the fresh basil in a bun, over rice, cauliflower rice, or on its own. Top with hot sauce if desired.