Slow Cooker Peach Chicken with Basil combines juicy peaches, balsamic vinegar, and fresh basil for an easy, flavorful summer dinner anytime!
“Thank you for this awesome recipe! This saved my birthday party. I initially wanted to barbecue, but had to switch plans due to the weather… so I looked for a good slow cooker recipe – and fell in love with yours. And what should I say? My guests loved it! I’ll surely cook that again.” ~ Dorothee
I love using my slow cooker all year long.
In the winter it’s a no-brainer, churning out warming and hearty soups and stews.
It’s also the perfect warm weather solution, helping to get dinner on the table without heating up the kitchen.
I wanted to come up with a fresh new summer inspired slow cooker recipe so when I saw fresh peaches coming into the market I knew they should be paired with basil in this oh-so-simple dinner.
All you have to do is throw these simple ingredients in the slow cooker, turn it on, and a few hours later you’ll have an amazing meal just waiting to be served.
I find that slow cooker recipes can be a little flat after cooking for hours, so for this recipe I add a splash of vinegar and extra pinch of salt at the end of the cooking process to brighten up the flavors.
I also top the cooked shredded chicken with sliced peaches and plenty of basil to kick up the summer flavors.
You can serve this chicken as-is, atop greens, with rice, or piled into a bun.
Add a veggie along side to round things out.
Simple steamed broccoli or snap peas are a great choice.
My husband, Andrew and I also added plenty of hot sauce for a little something extra.
RECIPE & KID FRIENDLY ADAPTATIONS
1 | Omit the onions from the recipe if you have an onion-hater. The dish will be fine without them.
2 | Let her shred the chicken with you in the kitchen. Helping with the prep may inspire her to try something new.
3 | Set aside and serve him some plain shredded chicken prior to adding the rest back to the sauce in the slow cooker.
4 | Serve the basil on the side.
This recipe is…
Use the image below to save Slow Cooker Peach Chicken with Basil to Pinterest for later!
Slow Cooker Peach Chicken with Basil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts thighs
- 1 large white or yellow onion very thinly sliced
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 6 medium peaches no need to peel, sliced
- ¼ cup tightly packed basil leaves thinly sliced
- Hot sauce to taste optional
- Place the sliced onions in the bottom of the slow cooker along with 1 teaspoon salt, garlic powder, and 1/4 cup vinegar. Stir in peach slices from 4 peaches, then nestle the chicken breasts into the mix, covering with some of the peach-onion mixture. Do not add the basil—that goes in at the end.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- When ready to serve, turn off the heat and remove the chicken breasts or thighs to a cutting board. Taste the sauce, adding an additional 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar and 1 teaspoon salt if desired.
- Shred the chicken with two forks or chop into pieces, then return to the slow cooker, stirring to coat with sauce.
- Remove the chicken, spooning the desired amount of sauce on top. Discard any remaining sauce, or save it to store with any leftover chicken to keep it moist.
- Serve the chicken and sauce on top of rice, in a bun, or on its own, topping with remaining fresh sliced peaches, fresh basil, and hot sauce if desired.
This post contains affiliate links