Rich, sweet and comforting, Slow Cooker Creamy Potato Corn Chowder (Dairy-Free) is super simple to throw together and is oh-so creamy without the cream!
And, since you can use fresh sweet corn or frozen, this easy dinner recipe is sure to become a family favorite any season of the year.
Ahhhh, you guys, this chowder. It’s so stinking good.
And easy. And dairy free. But above all, just plain good!
I’ve actually been testing this recipe for about a year, and we’ve eaten batch after batch of pretty good until finally landing on this crazy good version.
The trick is to use a russet potato for it’s creamy, starchy qualities, and a sweet potato for its color, sweetness, and all-together good-for-youness (not a word, I know).
After the low slow cooking time all the veggies get blended together to create a creamy consistency without the cream.
Then, to top things off, coconut milk gets stirred in to take the creaminess level over the top.
Top the entire thing with more fresh sweet corn, some green onions, and maybe some hot sauce (okay, a lot of hot sauce) and this chowder tastes like summer in a bowl.
The great thing, too, is that you can use fresh sweet corn in the heat of summer or frozen corn in the dead of winter.
It’s just the thing for summer, as the slow cooker doesn’t heat up the house.
It also works to bring a spot of sunniness and comfort to a dreary winter day.
I love this chowder served along with a melty cheese or hummus grilled sandwich, or a giant green salad.
It’s also lovely topped with cheddar cheese, grilled shrimp, rotisserie chicken, or lump crabmeat.
And, if you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, it freezes beautifully.
I’m telling you, this one is a winner. Now let’s make some chowder!
RECIPE & KID-FRIENDLY ADAPTATIONS
1 | If you don’t have or don’t want to use coconut milk, heavy cream will work in its place.
2 | I like to serve grilled cheese or hummus sandwiches to go alongside this soup.
3 | Alternately, top the soup with rotisserie chicken or cooked crumbled bacon. I love topping it with leftover Slow Cooker Peach Chicken with Basil.
Wanna make this chowder in the pressure cooker? Try this recipe for instant pot creamy chicken corn chowder (it’s also dairy free)!
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Naturally Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Nut-Free, Vegetarian, and Vegan
Tools to make Slow Cooker Creamy Potato Corn Chowder
Pin the image below to save Slow Cooker Creamy Potato Corn Chowder to Pinterest for later!
Slow Cooker Creamy Potato Corn Chowder (Dairy-Free)
- 2 medium russet potatoes peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 3 cups sweet corn kernels fresh or frozen, defrosted, divided
- 3 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 1-3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 32- oz low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk from a can
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Chopped basil and scallions optional
- Hot sauce optional
- Combine the potatoes, onion, 2 cups corn, garlic, salt, and chicken broth in a 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-6, or until the potatoes are very tender.
- With an immersion blender, blend until creamy. If you don’t have an immersion blender, carefully ladle the soup, in batches, into a blender and blend until smooth. Return the blended mixture back to the slow cooker.
- Add the coconut milk, vinegar, and the remaining 1 cup corn, stirring to combine. Taste and add additional salt or vinegar to taste.
- Serve with basil, scallion, and hot sauce if you like.