Did you know hummus makes an amazing grilled sandwich? Perfect as a cheese-free alternative to the classic, these Grilled Hummus, Apple and Caramelized Onion Sandwiches are quick, easy, and full of nourishing fall-inspired flavors. I may or may not have made one everyday this week. Let’s just say they are good. Really, really good.
I’ve written before about my love affair with tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. There’s just something about a warm bowl of soup and a melty sandwich that just hits the spot. As I’ve changed my eating habits over the years, though, I’ve moved away from canned soup and processed cheese, which I (wrongly) thought meant my soup & sammie days were over. Then I realized that hummus sandwiches, when grilled, take on an amazing grilled cheese like quality. Grilled hummus sandwiches pair particularly well with added fillings. Adding sliced apples and homemade caramelized onions takes the plain, everyday sandwich to something magical. Or at least it’s magical to me. Maybe it will be for you too.
These sandwiches come together quickly, particularly if you have homemade Creamy Pumpkin Hummus (which is amazing in these!) or prepared hummus on hand. Caramelized onions are super easy to make and add little something extra here, but if you’re not into it just skip that step and grill up a hummus apple sandwich instead. And feel free to use whatever bread you like here, whole grain, whole wheat, or gluten-free options all work well. As written this recipe is naturally dairy-free, gluten-free (if using GF bread), vegetarian, and vegan.
Kid-friendly notes. These grilled sandwiches are quite kid-friendly, but here are some options for resistant eaters:
- Skip the caramelized onions and just grill up a hummus and apple sandwich.
- Take it one step further back and grill a plain hummus sandwich with sliced apples on the side.
- Or, skip the sandwich concept all together and serve the bread cut into strips for dipping into hummus and sliced apples on the side. You can still have the grilled version, though, because it’s good!
Now, on to the recipe!
Did you know hummus makes an amazing grilled sandwich? Perfect as a cheese-free alternative to the classic, this Grilled Hummus, Apple and Caramelized Onion Sandwiches are quick, easy, and full of nourishing fall-inspired flavors. I may or may not have made one every day this week. Let’s just say they are good. Really, really good.
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ teaspoon salt
3 medium or 2 large yellow onions, very thinly sliced
2 medium sweet apples, such as Honeycrisp or Fuji, very thinly sliced
4 tablespoons Creamy Pumpkin Hummus or prepared hummus
8 slices whole grain or gluten-free bread
Olive oil or butter for the pan (optional)
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, onions, and salt to the pan, stirring well. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, then turn the heat to medium-low and saute an additional 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of hummus on 4 slices of bread. Top each with sliced apples and the caramelized onions. Top each with a second piece of bread, pressing firmly.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. For each sandwich, heat a teaspoon of olive oil or butter (if using), then add the sandwich and grill 3-4 minutes on each side or until the bread is golden and crispy, and the filling is warmed through.
- Slice and serve immediately.