Simple ingredients come together in this easy, warming meal in a bowl. Slow Cooker Creamy Potato Chowder is simple to make, dairy-free, gluten-free, and tastes amazing!
Happy New Year!
How was your holiday? Relaxing, I hope.
We spent the break hanging out with family and celebrating, and also took a trip to Victoria, BC. I hope to share a post with photos and restaurant recommendations from that trip soon!
After taking a few weeks off of posting recipes, I’m so ready to get back into the swing of things. First up, this simple, warming, delicious Slow Cooker Creamy Potato Chowder.
I always feel a certain amount of pressure about the first recipe of the year. You know what I mean? I know so many of you use January as a time to reset and get back to cooking and I want to deliver!
I also want to share recipes that are delicious, easy, and appeal to lots of different tastes and diets.
After a lot of brainstorming and testing, I landed on this chowder, because it’s exactly the kind of homestyle comfort food you want on a cold winter day, plus it’s free of dairy and gluten and will work for just about anyone.
I mean, what better way to kick off the new year with a big bowl of chowder that just happens to be vegetarian, vegan, paleo, and Whole30 friendly?
Soaked, raw cashews are used here in place of dairy here to add a luscious, creamy consistency. And, since you can soak the cashews alongside the chowder while it cooks, there’s no need to remember to soak them the night before.
If you prefer a nut-free option, simply swap in coconut milk (I’ve included notes on how to make the swap, below).
In my option, this chowder is really all about the toppings, so feel free to load it up. I did a little informal poll of topping ideas on Instagram while recipe testing, and while bacon won by a landslide, there were plenty of other creative ideas. I’m definitely going to try roasted brussels sprouts in the future!
I hope you enjoy a bowl of this cozy soup soon. Now, let’s make some Slow cooker Creamy Potato Chowder!
RECIPE & KID-FRIENDLY ADAPTATIONS
1 | Add any and all toppings you like! Crumbled bacon, chopped chives, shredded cheese, roasted brussels sprouts, sauerkraut, hot sauce–it’s all good.
2 | This soup freezes well, so if you have leftovers, ladle into individual servings and freeze for another day (I like to use this method).
3 | For a nut-free version, skip the cashews and add 1 cup full fat coconut milk (from a can) along with the nutritional yeast, then proceed with the recipe as written.
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Naturally Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegetarian, Vegan, Paleo and Whole30 Friendly
Slow Cooker Creamy Potato Chowder (Dairy-Free)
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 8 cups peeled and chopped Russet potatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 3 whole medium garlic cloves peeled
- 2 32-oz boxes chicken or vegetable stock
- 1-2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast*
- Cooked crumbled bacon
- Chopped green onions or chives
- Shredded cheese
- Roasted Brussels sprouts
- Hot sauce
- Place the cashews in a small bowl and cover with an inch of water. Set aside to soak while the chowder cooks.
- Add the potatoes, onion, garlic, stock and salt to a 6-quart slow cooker, stirring to combine. Cook on high for 5-6 hours or low for 7-9, or until the potatoes and onions are very tender.
- Drain and rinse the cashews. Add the cashews and nutritional yeast to the slow cooker, stirring to combine.
- Using an immersion blender, blend until creamy. If you don’t have an immersion blender, carefully ladle the soup, in batches, into a blender and blend until smooth. Return the blended mixture back to the slow cooker.
- Taste and add additional salt or freshly ground pepper if desired. Ladle into bowls and add any toppings you like.