Tender, lightly sweet, and scented with warm vanilla and honey, One-Bowl Honey Vanilla Cornmeal Cake comes together in just one bowl and is perfect as a side dish or simple dessert.
I’ve been dreaming of a version of this cake for months. Tender, yet still a bit crumbly, lightly sweet and scented with vanilla and honey. And of course, easy to make. Mix a few ingredients in a bowl, pour in a pan, throw it into the oven, and then dig in.
The only problem is that I could not come up with a recipe that matched the vision in my head. I tested versions that were too sweet, not sweet enough, and way too crumbly. After many failed attempts, I’m thrilled to share this final version, which I think finally hits the mark.
This is the perfect summer cake because it’s so light and only slightly sweet. I have big plans to serve it alongside giant bowls of fluffy whipped coconut cream and baskets of juicy berries. It will also be lovely in the winter months, too, as a sweet take on cornbread with hearty soups, stews, and chilis.
I love that this cake is gluten-free, dairy-free, and naturally sweetened, making it a great option for potlucks, barbecues, and summer dinners at home. I also love how easy it is to throw together, and that the cleanup is minimal.
Elle loves to help stir this batter together and to grease the pan, making it the perfect recipe to get your kids involved in the cooking process. I hope you’ll love this one as much as we do. Now, let’s make some cornmeal cake!
RECIPE & KID-FRIENDLY ADAPTATIONS
1 | Bake in a square pan, slice into squares, and serve as a sweet cornbread alongside your favorite soups, stews, and chilis.
2 | Serve with a giant dollop of Vanilla Bean Sea Salt Coconut Whipped Cream or homemade whipped cream and a sprinkling of fresh berries.
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Naturally Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Nut-Free, Naturally Sweetened, and Vegetarian
One-Bowl Honey Vanilla Cornmeal Cake
- ½ cup melted coconut oil plus more for greasing the pan
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ cup cup honey
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup oat flour*
- 3/4 cup finely ground yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Additional raw honey for serving optional
- Heat the oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, eggs, honey, applesauce, and vanilla until smooth.
- Add the oat flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Mix again until well incorporated.
- Bake the cake for 35-40 minutes or until it begins pulling away from the sides and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle.
- Allow the cake to cool for at least 20 minutes. Gently remove from the pan, then slice and serve, drizzled with additional honey if you like.