DIY Greek Inspired Quinoa Bowl
Super simple to assemble and flavor-packed, DIY Greek Quinoa Bowls are perfect for dinner or lunch anytime. Topped with a creamy, tangy tahini dressing, these bowls are easy to prep and are so darn delicious!
Okay. I realize I’m publishing this recipe during the week of Thanksgiving. And it’s the middle of November. I know. I’m all for hearty, nourishing autumn-inspired recipes right now. One-Pan Autumn Quinoa? Yes. Autumn Lentil Salad with Maple-Mustard Dressing? Absolutely. Slow Cooker Autumn Minestrone? You got it.
But somewhere amidst all these cozy autumn flavors I start craving bright, light, vibrant meals. Give me all the raw, crunchy veggies and give them to me now! Put them in a bowl with some quinoa, chickpeas and douse the whole thing with tahini dressing and I’m one happy girl.
And maybe someday in the future you’re reading this and it’s summer, well then this is the perfect meal for a hot summer night. But even if it’s the dead of winter, this can still be your big bowl of goodness to break through the dark evenings and to keep things light and bright.
I’m calling these DIY bowls because I want you to feel free to make them according to your own pantry and preferences. Anything goes when it comes to DIY bowls? If you’re not familiar with tahini paste I highly recommend it, it’s a creamy paste made with sesame seeds that makes an amazing base for this dressing.
Look for tahini near the nut butters or in the ethnic section of your grocery store. And if you have extra tahini you can use it to make Creamy Pumpkin Hummus and Quick Sesame Noodles. Then loop back to these bowls, because they’re so good you’re going to want to make them all the time. Cheers!
recipe & kid-friendly adaptations
1 | Serve all the parts of the bowl (quinoa, chickpeas, veggies) separately on a plate with the Tahini Dressing on the side for dipping.
2| Add simply grilled chicken or shrimp to bump up the protein.
3 | Use white beans in place of the chickpeas, brown rice in place of the quinoa, and any mix of veggies you like. These are DIY bowls, so feel free to use what you like and what you have on hand!
this recipe is…
DIY Greek Quinoa Bowl
For the Bowls
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 15- oz can chickpeas, or 2 cup cooked lentils or white beans
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1-2 bell peppers, red, orange, or yellow, thinly sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 4 cups baby spinach
For the Tahini Dressing
- ¼ cup tahini, sesame seed paste
- 1 clove garlic, very finely minced or grated
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ⅓ cup warm water
- Place the rinsed, drained quinoa in a medium saucepan. Add 2 cups of water and the salt. Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer, covered, for 18 minutes. Turn off the heat and let sit for an additional 5 minutes. Uncover and fluff with a fork.
- Add the rinsed, drained chickpeas and stir to warm through.
- In a medium bowl or jar, whisk or shake together the tahini, garlic, vinegar, salt, oregano, honey and water until very well combined.
- Assemble by dividing the spinach, quinoa/chickpea mixture, cucumber, bell peppers, and tomatoes in bowls. Drizzle with the Tahini Dressing and serve.
Nutrition Information:Nutrition disclaimer
This post contains affiliate links.