Black Bean Sweet Potato Chili (5 Ingredients!)
This hearty and easy black bean sweet potato chili is made with just 5 ingredients, and takes only a few minutes to prep. A simple vegetarian dinner idea you’ll want to make on repeat – includes slow cooker, Instant Pot, and stovetop directions, too.
5 star review
“Amazing that something with 5 ingredients can taste so complex and yummy! I almost never try recipes without tweaking, but I had all the ingredients and made it in the one pot just as written!”– Thea
About this Black Bean Sweet Potato Chili
I love the combination of black beans and sweet potato!
There’s something about the earthiness of the beans and the sweet, creamy texture of the sweet potatoes that goes so well together.
So, if you like this bean chili recipe, make sure to check out those recipes as well.
This version just so happens to be meat-free, but is still very hearty and totally satisfying, thanks to the black beans and sweet potato.
I promise you will not miss the meat, plus you’ll love the convenience of how easily this 5-ingredient sweet potato chili comes together.
Plus, prep couldn’t be simpler.
All you need is a handful of pantry staples thrown together on the stovetop, in a slow cooker, or electric pressure cooker, and you have an easy dinner!
In keeping with the simplified theme, this recipe uses only five ingredients (love that!), but if you happen to have smoked paprika on hand I recommend adding that in, too.
It lends a smoky flavor in the background, and pairs really well with the sweetness of the potatoes and savory flavor of the black beans.
Visual Guide: How to Make Black Bean Sweet Potato Chili
Process & Tips
The prep on this easy dinner could not be faster thanks to the stovetop, crock pot, or Instant Pot.
Simply chop all your ingredients and throw them into either a pot or Dutch oven, the crockpot or Instant Pot, set it to cook, and you’re done with the hard work!
If you need a meal quickly, you’ll want to opt for the stovetop version first, followed by the Instant Pot version.
And for a hands-off low and slow option, the slow cooker Black Bean Sweet Potato Chili option is the one for you.
Make It Gluten Free + Dairy Free
This recipe is naturally gluten free and dairy free just as it is, even the optional toppings! If you did want to add some cheese or sour cream, just make sure to get dairy free options.
Key Ingredients and Substitutions
Sweet potatoes: While “yam” and “sweet potato” are often used interchangeably, they are actually from completely different botanical families (source). For this recipe look for orange-fleshed sweet potatoes with dark orange-brown skin.
Black beans: Drained and rinsed kidney or pinto beans will also work in this recipe.
Chunky salsa: Look for a jarred, chunky salsa without any added sugar. Use mild for a mild chili, and spicy for more of a kick. I don’t recommend fresh salsa for this recipe, as the final result ends up on the watery side.
Stock: Vegetable stock or chicken stock can be used, but be sure to use vegetable stock to keep this recipe vegan and vegetarian.
Cumin: Cumin is the star spice in this vegetarian chili, offering an earthy flavor without a ton of spice.
Kosher salt: If using table salt, you may need to reduce the amount.
Smoked paprika: Smoked paprika isn’t necessary in this recipe, and it does take the ingredient count over five total, but it does take this chili to the next level, so if you have it, definitely add it.
What to Serve with Black Bean Sweet Potato Chili
Don’t forget the toppings!
The ideas are endless, but some of my favorites are 4-ingredient guacamole, sour cream (traditional or dairy-free), chopped onion, cilantro, fresh lime juice, jalapenos, Monterey jack cheese or dairy-free cheese shreds.
You can also whip up a batch of my skillet cornbread on the side for dipping.
How to Store & Freeze
Sweet potato black bean chili keeps well in the fridge for up to [3-4 days], in a sealed container.
This recipe also freezes well, stored in a sealed freezer friendly container for up to [2-3 months].
Separation is normal. Simply reheat to bring back to a normal consistency.
This Recipe is…
Note: This recipe was previously titled 5-Ingredient Black Bean Sweet Potato Chili. I’ve updated the title, added new photos, updated the informational sections, and lightly updated the recipe method to include stovetop instructions. The original slow cooker and instant pot recipe remains the same.
5-Ingredient Black Bean Sweet Potato Chili (Slow Cooker, Instant Pot)
- 4 cups (1-inch) chopped sweet potato, from about 3 medium peeled sweet potatoes
- 2 (15-oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-oz) jar chunky salsa
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup vegetable stock, or chicken stock (if not vegan + vegetarian)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, optional
- Easy guacamole
- Fresh lime juice, recommended, avocado, sour cream, chopped green onion, cilantro, or chopped jalapeño.
Stove Top Instructions
- Place all the ingredients in a large pot or Dutch oven. Bring to a strong simmer over medium high. Cover, reduce the heat to medium low, and simmer until the potatoes are cooked through, about 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the pot dries out, add a splash more vegetable stock if necessary.
- Add fresh lime juice, and additional toppings, if desired.
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Place all the ingredients in a 6-quart slow cooker, stirring to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours, or until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Add fresh lime juice (if using), stirring to combine. Top with toppings, if desired and serve.
Instant Pot Instructions
- Place all the ingredients in a 6-quart pressure cooker, stirring to combine.
- Cover and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes, then quick release the pressure.
- Add fresh lime juice (if using), and additional toppings, if desired.