Slow Cooker Taco Soup
Simple and hearty, this slow cooker taco soup is loaded with ground beef, beans, and corn.
It can either be simmered all day in the slow cooker or made in 25 minutes on the stovetop!
about this slow cooker taco soup recipe
We are huge fans of easy slow cooker soups around here!
Taco soup is a particular favorite, and you can find our 6-Ingredient Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Chili on the menu often.
This recipe was inspired by The Pioneer Woman’s Taco Soup, which I adapted to be made in the slow cooker so it could cook low and slow all day.
I also put a healthy spin on this cozy soup by decreasing the amount of beef, upping the vegetables and skipping the packet of taco seasoning.
Instead we’re making our own healthy taco seasoning spice mix using mild chili powder, garlic powder, cumin and smoked paprika.
It’s so flavorful and easy, I promise you won’t miss the store bought stuff!
Together with your canned tomato sauce, black & pinto beans, diced tomatoes and mild diced green chilis, it makes an incredibly delicious soup that’ll have everyone running back to the kitchen for seconds.
The best part is that this recipe makes a lot. Leaving tons of leftovers for you to enjoy for easy lunches or dinners the rest of the week!
process & tips
Once you saute the ground beef and onions and add everything to your slow cooker, this is a hands-off recipe.
Just cover, set the timer and walk away.
And before you know it you’ll have a super tasty, homemade crockpot taco soup filled with hearty beans, ground beef and a rich tomato broth.
Don’t get scared off when you see that the ingredients list includes diced green chilis.
Most of the heat cooks out of them and results in a pretty mild soup, making it a hit with just about anyone.
But if you are sensitive to heat you can omit the green chilis.
On the flip side, if you want it spicier, you can use spicy green chilis instead of regular and add hot sauce at the end.
It’s totally up to you if you want to cook it on the high or low slow cooker setting! I’ve included directions for both below to keep your options open on busy weeks.
ingredients & modifications
Ground beef: I used lean grass-fed, ground beef for this recipe but you could use regular ground beef too. Be sure to drain off the excess grease before adding to your slow cooker for the best results.
Canned beans: I used a combination of black beans and pinto beans. But you could use any combination you like. For example, all black beans or all pinto beans.
Chicken stock: You can substitute chicken bone broth or homemade chicken stock for a richer flavor. You can also swap in beef broth in its place.
Tomato sauce: A great, versatile ingredient to keep in your pantry! This helps create the richly flavored tomato broth that’s the base for this soup.
Onion: Sauteed onions add so much flavor to homemade soups. But if you don’t like or can’t eat onions, feel free to skip them in this recipe.
Corn: Fresh or frozen corn will work great in this recipe. If using frozen corn, be sure to defrost it before adding to your slow cooker.
Mild chili powder: Since we’re skipping the taco seasoning packet here, the chili powder (along with the garlic powder, smoked paprika, and cumin) is the base for making our own. Mild chili powder doesn’t add much heat to your recipe but does add lots of flavor.
Olive oil: I like the flavor of olive oil best in this recipe. But any neutral oil will work in this soup, such as avocado oil, vegetable oil or canola.
Diced tomatoes with green chilis: Diced tomatoes with green chilis are another favorite pantry staple. They add great depth of flavor to homemade soups.
Diced green chilis: This soup is very mild as-is. But if you want it spicier, use spicy green chilis in place of mild diced green chilis.
Lime juice: I love the flavor of fresh lime juice with these ingredients. But you could also use fresh lemon juice in its place.
Kosher salt: Look for kosher salt with the regular iodized salt at the grocery store (it has a subtler flavor). Use less iodized salt if that’s what you have on hand.
what to serve with slow cooker taco soup
A warm tortilla or crunchy corn chips on the side for dipping.
Get creative with your toppings! Think avocado, sour cream (traditional or dairy-free), chopped onion, cilantro, fresh lime juice, jalapenos, hot sauce, Monterey jack cheese or dairy-free cheese shreds.
how to store & freeze leftover slow cooker taco soup
This is one of those soups that tastes even better the next day, and leftovers make a great lunch!
It keeps well in the fridge for up to 3-4 days, in a sealed container.
This soup also freezes beautifully, either in a gallon ziplock bag, or individually in mason jars.
You can store it in a sealed freezer friendly container for up to 2-3 months.
more slow cooker ground beef recipes
Beef Minestrone Soup (with Instant Pot + Slow Cooker Instructions)
this recipe is…
I hope you’ll make this healthy Slow Cooker Taco Soup recipe soon.
If you do, be sure to share it on Instagram and tag me at @realfoodwholelife so I can see!
Slow Cooker Taco Soup
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef, grass fed if possible
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon mild chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 15- oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15- oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15- oz can no-sugar added tomato sauce
- 1 15- oz can diced tomatoes with green chilis, such as Rotel
- 1 4- oz can diced green chilis
- 2 cups frozen defrosted corn, or fresh
- 1 quart chicken stock
To add at the end
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Fresh cilantro, chopped onion, grated cheese (traditional or dairy-free), sour cream, corn chips, avocado, hot sauce
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the ground beef, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, and paprika. Cook until browned and no longer pink. Drain any excess grease.
- To a 6-quart slow cooker, add the cooked onion and ground beef, black beans, pinto beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, green chili, corn, and stock, stirring until well combined.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 7-8 hours. Uncover and add the lime juice, stirring to combine. Taste and add additional salt or lime juice if desired. Serve with toppings of your choice.
- Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the ground beef, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, and paprika. Cook until browned and no longer pink. Drain any excess grease.
- Add the black beans, pinto beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, green chili, corn, and stock, stirring until well combined.
- Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook, covered, for 20-25 minutes. Uncover and add the lime juice, stirring to combine. Taste and add additional salt or lime juice if desired. Serve with toppings of your choice.
This post contains affiliate links.