Instant Pot Golden Glow Butternut Squash Soup is a super simple, easy fall recipe that’s perfect for weeknight dinners. Naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, paleo and whole30 friendly.
Well hello there fall, it’s good to see you!
I’ll admit I’m a total sucker for all things fall, from the crisp cool air, to leaves changing color, to all the amazing flavors of the season.
Apple, butternut squash, pumpkin, I say bring it on!
I also happen to be a huge fan of butternut squash soup, and though I make it often, I realized recently that I don’t have a proper recipe here on the blog.
How in the world did that happen?
I have to say, not only is this recipe crazy simple but it’s also really darn delicious and totally fits the bill for a crisp fall evening or cold winter night.
In an effort to streamline prep, this one is a standard chop-and-drop situation, meaning you can probably have it one in the pot and ready to go in a matter of minutes.
The cook time is only 5 minutes, but do keep in mind that the cook time does not include the time it takes your pressure cooker to come to pressure.
Depending on the temperature of your ingredients, I’ve found it takes about 15 minutes to come to pressure, making it will take about 20 minutes total cook time.
Using an immersion blender makes blending ultra simple here and guarantees smooth results every time.
Of course you can use a regular blender, too. Just be careful when transfering hot liquids.
A quick note that the consistency of this soup is very traditional for a butternut squash soup.
If you prefer something thicker, though, you can always add 1-2 peeled and chopped potatoes to the mix.
I hope you’ll make this one soon. If you do, be sure to share it on Instagram and tag me at @realfoodwholelife so I can see!
Recipe & Kid Friendly Adaptations
1 | Soup not enough to fill up your family? Top with cooked sausage (we like apple chicken) or Smokey Maple Roasted Chickpeas to bump up the protein, and add some bread or a quesadilla on the side for dipping.
2 | This soup freezes beautiful. Here are my simplified tips for freezing.
3 | Have fun with the toppings for this one. I’ve provided some options in the recipe, but feel free to use your taste and what you have on hand as a guide.
This Recipe Is
gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, mayo-free, nut-free, grain-free, soy-free, paleo, vegan, vegetarian, and whole30
Tools to Make Instant Pot Golden Butternut Squash Soup
Pin the Image Below To Save Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup (dairy-free, whole30) to Pinterest for Later!
Instant Pot Golden Glow Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 cups chopped carrot
- 2 cups chopped apple such as Honeycrisp
- 6 cups chopped butternut squash
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 quart chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 cup coconut milk from a can
- For serving: fresh sage toasted pumpkin seeds, freshly ground pepper, Smokey Maple Roasted Chickpeas (optional)
- Add the onion, carrot, apple, butternut squash, garlic, salt, turmeric, cinnamon and stock to a 6-quart pressure cooker.
- Secure the lid, select the manual setting, and set it to high pressure for 5 minutes.
- When the pressure cooker timer is done, quick release the pressure.
- Uncover and add the coconut milk. Using an immersion blender, blend until very smooth. Alternatively, working in batches, carefully ladle the soup into a blender and blend on high until smooth.
- Taste and add additional salt if desired. Serve with any toppings you like.
- Follow step 1, but use a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 4-6, or until all the veggies are tender.
- Proceed with steps 4-5.
- Follow step 1, but use a large Dutch oven or pot.
- Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook until the veggies are tender, about 25-35 minutes.
- Proceed with steps 4-5.