Juicy Honey Sriracha Glazed Meatballs
These tender and juicy honey sriracha meatballs feature an easy 5-ingredient sweet and spicy honey sriracha sauce that explodes with flavor. The ultimate in easy, use homemade meatballs (recipe included) or make it simply effortless by using frozen meatballs. A fantastic crowd-pleasing appetizer or weeknight dinner, includes instructions for making in crockpot or on the stove.
5 star review
“Oh my gosh, these were so delicious! I made them for a holiday party we had at the New Year, and people were raving about them. So easy, too!”– Stephanie
Visual Guide: How to Make Honey Sriracha Meatballs
Testing Notes from Robyn
When made right, meatballs can be juicy, tender and full of so much flavor, plus they freeze well, making them a great make-ahead option).
And, when you add a delicious, easy homemade sauce, meatballs can be taken to a whole new level!
This recipe uses a similar concept as my slow cooker meatballs, buffalo turkey meatballs, and pineapple turkey meatballs, where you take homemade or frozen meatballs and add them with a simple sauce to create massive flavor payoff from minimal effort.
My “secret” for keeping the meatballs in this recipe juicy and flavorful is the addition of grated onion.
Grating the onion (just as you would cheese) allows it to release much-needed moisture and dissolve into the meat as it cooks.
Serve these sweet and spicy meatballs with rice for dinner or as an appetizer with some toothpicks for easy pick-up.
Simple Recipe Adaptations
No time to make homemade meatballs? No problem! Simply substitute 1 (24-oz) bag of frozen meatballs for the homemade.
You could use beef, turkey, chicken, or plant-based meatballs – whatever you prefer!
Then simply whip up the honey sriracha sauce, set aside ¼ cup of the sauce, and toss the remaining sauce with the frozen meatballs in a 6-quart slow cooker and follow the instructions as written, below.
If you want to use ground chicken or ground turkey meatballs, instead of substituting the meat in this meatball recipe, use this recipe for gluten free turkey meatballs or your favorite turkey meatball recipe.
And what about egg-free options? I’ve got you covered! Simply substitute these 5-ingredient free meatballs for the meatballs in this recipe.
To make the sauce dairy-free, you can use a dairy-free butter in place of the regular butter.
You could even make mini-meatballs, by shaping the meatballs smaller, making them perfect for appetizers.
How to Adjust the Spice
These meatballs do have a bit of a kick to them. While some of the spice cooks out in the slow cooker or when simmering, adding the additional sauce at the end keeps things spicy. If you’re sensitive to heat, reduce the sriracha to 1-2 tablespoons.
Panko breadcrumbs – Regular breadcrumbs can be substituted and for gluten-free meatballs, use gluten-free breadcrumbs.
Honey – The honey is key to flavor and thickening the sauce, so don’t leave it out.
Tamari – You can use soy sauce, gluten-free soy sauce, or coconut aminos (which will make the sauce a little sweeter).
Lime juice – Can use rice wine vinegar instead.
Meal Prep & Storage Tips
As I mentioned, meatballs are a great meal prep option!
The recipe can easily be doubled or tripled and stored in the fridge or freezer for quick and easy meals.
In this recipe, if you’re using homemade meatballs, you can prepare and cook them ahead of time and refrigerate (for 3-4 days in a sealed container) or freeze (sealed freezer friendly container or zip-top bag for up to 2-3 months) and then add to the sauce.
The sauce can also be made ahead of time and refrigerated, just warm gently as the butter will separate.
This Recipe Is…
Juicy Honey Sriracha Glazed Meatballs
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and ends removed
- 1 large egg
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup plain panko breadcrumbs
- 2 pounds 92% lean ground beef
Honey Sriracha Sauce
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- ⅓ cup honey
- ¼ cup sriracha
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, or rice wine vinegar
Optional Serving Suggestion
- Sliced green onions
Make the Honey Sriracha Sauce
- Add melted butter, honey, sriracha, tamari, and lime juice to a medium bowl. Whisk until well combined.
Make the Meatballs
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Place a box grater into a large bowl. Using the smallest holes, grate the entire onion into the bowl. You should have about ½ cup grated onion and accumulated liquid. Add the egg and whisk until combined. Add the garlic, breadcrumbs, and salt, and whisk to combine.
- Add the ground beef and gently mix until the breadcrumb-onion mixture is well incorporated, being careful not to over-mix. Gently form 24 meatballs (about a golf ball size or 1 ½ ounces each).
- Space the meatballs evenly on two prepared baking pans. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until just beginning to brown.
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Place the prepared meatballs in an even layer in a 6-quart slow cooker. Set aside ¼ cup of Honey Sriracha Sauce, then pour the remaining sauce over the meatballs, tossing to coat evenly.
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-5, or until the meatballs tender.
- Uncover and pour over the remaining ¼ cup Honey Sriracha Sauce, tossing to coat. Serve immediately, sprinkled with green onion, or hold on warm until ready to serve.
- Set aside ¼ cup of Honey Sriracha Sauce, then pour the remaining sauce into a large pot or Dutch oven. Heat over medium heat, then add the prepared meatballs and simmer on low for 10-15 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Turn off the heat and add the remaining ¼ cup Honey Sriracha Sauce, tossing to coat. Serve sprinkled with green onion if desired.