Tender and flakey, 5-Ingredient Drop Biscuits (Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free) are easy to make and completely delicious!
As we head into the holiday season, it seems only right to share this tender, flakey drop biscuit recipe that’s easy to prepare and made with real food ingredients.
If you’ve never made homemade biscuits before, it couldn’t be easier. Simply pulse all the ingredients together in a food processor, then drop heaping spoonfuls on a pan and bake away.
These particular biscuits are slightly denser than their white-flour counterparts, but are still quite tender and flakey. I like whipping up a batch to go alongside soups, stews, chilis, or whatever I have going in the slow cooker at the moment (hello Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie!).
In the summer they would make a lovely base for berry shortcake (topped with a generous dollop of Vanilla Bean Coconut Whipped Cream) and make a great little snack anytime. Top with a berry jam or raw honey and you’ll have yourself the perfect afternoon snack.
These would also be great as part of a holiday buffet, standing in for traditional biscuits, and are a great option for people who are gluten-free, dairy-free, or just looking to eat less refined white flour and more whole, real food.
I hope you’ll give these a try soon. Now, let’s make some 5-Ingredient Drop Biscuits!
RECIPE & KID-FRIENDLY ADAPTATIONS
1 | If you don’t have a food processor, cut the coconut oil into the oat flour using two knives, then proceed with the recipe as written.
2 | For a sweet biscuit, whisk 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup into the milk prior to adding it to the dough, then sprinkle the biscuits with raw sugar prior to baking.
3 | Use a non-dairy milk such as rice or hemp for a nut-free version.
4 | Skip the egg wash for an egg-free and vegan option.
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Naturally Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegetarian, Nut-Free, and Egg-Free and Vegan (skip the egg wash)
5-Ingredient Drop Biscuits (Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free)
- 2 cups oat flour*
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup very cold coconut oil
- 1 cup plain unsweetened almond milk (or other non-dairy milk), chilled
- 1 egg whisked (optional)
- Heat the oven to 400F
- Pulse the oat flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda together in a food processor. Add the coconut oil and pulse until the coconut oil is in bits, about the size of small peas.
- Pour in the almond milk a little at a time, pulsing until the dough comes together into a ball (you might need the entire cup, or slightly less).
- Drop 2 heaping tablespoons of the dough at a time on a greased baking sheet. Flatten and round each biscuit slightly, then brush each with the whisked egg.
- Bake 15-20 min until slightly golden.
- Allow to cool slightly, then serve warm or cool completely and store or freeze.