Simple pantry ingredients come together in this creamy, dreamy 20-Minute Tomato Cream Sauce. Gluten-free, dairy-free, crazy easy, and completely divine!
I’m a pasta girl at heart.
Maybe it’s my Italian roots, or maybe I just love carbs. Either way, there’s something about a steaming bowls of noodles coated with a silky sauce that just does it for me.
I learned a long time ago that homemade sauce is so much better than the store-bought variety, and need not be complicated or time consuming to be delicious.
Especially on busy weeknights, a simple pantry sauce is just what I’m looking for. I’ve shared a few of our favorites here before (hello Weeknight Zucchini and Beef Ragout and Weeknight Mushroom and Beef Ragout!) and now I’m happy to bring this (creamless) creamy tomato version to you.
The best part of this sauce–other than how amazing it tastes–is that it can be thrown together with a few simple pantry ingredients. As long as you have some crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, onion, garlic, garlic powder and coconut milk on hand, you’re in business!
If you’re worried that the coconut milk will lend a coconutty flavor, don’t be. There’s just enough in this recipe to make the sauce creamy, without an overt coconut taste. You can freeze leftover coconut to use another time, too, or store it in the fridge for smoothies.
I hope you’ll whip this one up soon and fall in love. Now. let’s make some 20-Minute Creamy Tomato Sauce (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free.)
RECIPE & KID-FRIENDLY ADAPTATIONS
1 | Serve this sauce over whole wheat or gluten free pasta, or over chicken or fish.
2 | If serving over pasta, bump up the protein by adding some pan sautéed shrimp or chicken.
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Naturally Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Nut-Free, Egg-Free, Soy-Free, Grain-Free, Vegetarian, Vegan, and Paleo Friendly
20-Minute Tomato Cream Sauce (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced or finely grated
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ⅓ cup full-fat coconut milk from a can
- Red pepper flakes optional
- Chopped fresh parsley or basil for serving optional
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, ¼ teaspoon salt, and cook for 5-8 minutes, until very soft and slightly browned, stirring frequently.
- Add the garlic and garlic powder, stirring constantly over medium heat for about 30 seconds, until lightly browned.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and ¼ teaspoon salt, stirring to combine. Simmer over medium-low for 10 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, and an additional ¼ teaspoon salt, stirring to combine. Taste and add additional salt or red pepper flakes if desired.
- Serve with gluten-free or whole wheat pasta, or as a sauce for chicken or fish, sprinkled with red pepper flakes, parsley and basil if you like.