Break out the grill and whip up this super simple, super flavorful Smokey Lime Grilled Chicken with 5-Ingredient Strawberry Salsa recipe for dinner tonight!
Grilling season is upon us and I am excited! To me, grilling season means simple, fresh, and super easy. Nothing fussy, or complicated; just tons of bright, vibrant produce and some beautifully seasoned meat, fish, or veggies on the grill.
Of course, as I type this it’s rather chilly and rainy here in Portland, but that won’t stop me from breaking out the grill and whipping up this ultra simple and flavorful chicken dinner.
For this recipe, the chicken gets marinated with lime and smoked paprika, then thrown on the grill for an extra smokey flavor. While the chicken is marinating, there’s time to assemble a quick and delicious strawberry salsa. Stir together fresh, juicy strawberries with more lime juice and some bright mint and you’re ready to go.
Even if you’re skeptical about fruit and meat together, I urge you to try this combo. The sweetness from the strawberries pairs so well with the tart lime juicy and the smokey flavor in the chicken that that you may end up converting even the most resistant diners.
I like to serve this chicken with a simple side salad. This Vibrant Spring Quinoa Salad, Zucchini, Corn and Sweet Onion Salad, Honey Mustard Green Bean Potato Salad, or Garden Pasta Salad with Homemade Italian Dressing would all be fantastic options.
If you need more summer grilling recipes definitely add these Honey Orange Dijon Chicken Skewers to your list too.
I hope you’ll try this simple and tasty real food recipe soon. Now, let’s grill some chicken!
RECIPE & KID-FRIENDLY ADAPTATIONS
1 | Skip the smoked paprika if you don’t have it. The chicken won’t be quite as smokey flavored, but will still have a subtle smoked flavor from the grilling process.
2 | Use basil in place of the mint.
3 | Use cherries in place of strawberries.
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Naturally Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Nut-Free, Whole30 and Paleo Friendly
Smokey Lime Grilled Chicken with 5-Ingredient Strawberry Salsa
For the Dressing/Marinade
- ½ tablespoon lime zest from about 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice from about 2 limes
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts or 6-8 thighs
For the Salsa
- 1 cup strawberries finely chopped
- 1 green onion thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh mint thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice from about 1 lime
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the lime zest and 2 tablespoons juice, ¼ teaspoon salt, and paprika. Whisk in the olive oil until well incorporated. Set aside 4 tablespoons of the dressing in a separate bowl.
- Place the chicken breasts in a shallow baking dish covered, or large ziplock bag. Pour in the remaining dressing and stir to coat.
- Refrigerate the chicken for half an hour.
- Meanwhile, make the salsa by mixing together the strawberries, green onion, mint, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, and 1 tablespoon lime juice in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a grill to medium. Remove the chicken from the marinade, shaking off any excess. Discard the marinade.
- Grill the chicken over medium heat for about 5 minutes per side, flipping once, until browned and cooked through.
- Serve the chicken warm, with the reserved dressing for drizzling, topped with the strawberry salsa.