Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Apple Cider Chili is a hearty sweet and savory vegetarian chili, combining a few simple ingredients into a quick, easy, and filling meal.
This is exactly the kind of meal I want to eat every week. It’s hearty, filling, and packed with good-for-you ingredients. It feeds a crowd and leftovers reheat beautifully for a fantastic lunch the next day. Plus it takes just a few minutes to prepare; just a bit of chopping, stirring, and hitting “start” on the slow cooker. It doesn’t get much better.
The secret ingredient in this chili is fresh pressed apple cider, which lends a slightly sweet and rich flavor to the dish. The chili is great on it’s own and it also lends itself well to all kinds of yummy toppings. Elle likes her with extra cheese, sour cream and chips, Andrew and I like ours with plenty of avocado, green onions, and a hefty does of hot sauce.
If I’m feeding friends and family I also like to sauté up some chicken sausage as an optional topping for the meat-eaters in the crowd. Chopped apple and fresh limes also add brightness and some crunch to the chili. Add some Apple Cornmeal Muffins on the side and you have a yummy fall meal you’ll want to make again and again.
1 | Serve this chili with plenty of toppings and allow your child to customize his or her chili to his or her tastes.
2 | Offer corn chips or One-Bowl Apple Cornmeal Muffins for dipping or crumbling on top.
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Naturally Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Nut-Free, Refined Sugar-Free, Vegetarian, and Vegan
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Apple Cider Chili
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 large or 4 small sweet potatoes scrubbed, peeled, and chopped into 1-inch pieces (about 5-6 cups)
- 1 teaspoon mild chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1-3 teaspoons salt
- 1 15- oz can tomato sauce
- 1 15- oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15- oz can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 cup apple cider
- Juice of 1 lime
- Chopped green onion cilantro, apple, sliced avocado, sour cream, grated white cheddar cheese, corn chips, pan sautéed chicken sausage, hot sauce.
- Combine all the ingredients in a 6-quart slow cooker, stirring to combine. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Add the lime juice, stirring to combine.
- Serve warm by itself or with the toppings of your choice.