Slow Cooker Pumpkin Paleo Chili
Hearty, warming, and simple to prepare, Slow Cooker Pumpkin Paleo Chili is a new fall classic that you’ll want to make all year round!
Let me introduce you to my new favorite way to add vegetables to your dinner: Pumpkin Paleo Chili!
The addition of canned pumpkin makes this one-pot wonder super simple to prepare, and packs in all the veggie goodness of the orange squash.
The truth is, you can’t really taste the pumpkin all that much, but it is definitely there in the background adding plenty of body and richness to this hearty, beanless chili.
If you’re wondering about putting ground beef or turkey into the slow cooker without browning it first, I’ll share that I tested this recipes both ways and found that the browning step wasn’t completely necessary, especially if using lean ground meat.
There is always a flavor benefit to browning meat first, but honestly in my own life that extra step is sometimes just too much. So, since I strive to keep Real Food Whole Life recipes as streamlined and simple as possible, everything just goes in the slow cooker and you’re good to go.
Keep in mind that every slow cooker is different, so you may need to adjust cooking times depending on the heat level of your specific slow cooker. At the end of the cooking time you want a very thick, rich looking chili, and the meat and onions should be cooked all the way through.
I like stirring an extra cup of pumpkin in at the end to freshen up the flavor, along with extra salt and a bright squeeze of lime juice. Feel free to adjust these seasonings to your taste.
This is definitely a simple, one-pot wonder that’s sure to become a fall-inspired favorite all year round. Now, let’s make some Slow Cooker Pumpkin Paleo Chili!
RECIPE & KID-FRIENDLY ADAPTATIONS
1 | Top with grated cheese and sour cream if dairy if part of your family’s diet.
2 | Encourage each member of your family to customize his or her bowl of chili with whatever toppings he or she prefers.
3 | Ground turkey or ground beef both work in this recipe. If using beef, be sure to look for a lean (5% fat) option to keep the chili from getting greasy.
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Paleo Chili
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium yellow, orange or red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or finely grated
- 2 pounds ground dark meat turkey or lean, 5% ground beef, grass-fed if possible
- 1 6-oz can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon mild chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 cups pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Chopped scallion and cilantro for serving, optional
- Add the onion, pepper, garlic, meat, tomato paste, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon salt, and 2 cups pumpkin puree (from about 1 [15-oz] can) to a 6-quart slow cooker, stirring until well combined.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 6-8, or until the onions are very soft and the meat is cooked through.
- Uncover, add 1 additional cup pumpkin, 1 teaspoon salt, and lime juice, stirring to combine. Taste and add more salt or lime juice if necessary. Serve with scallion and cilantro if you like.
Nutrition Information:Nutrition disclaimer
This post contains affiliate links