Slow Cooker Citrus Chicken yields bright citrus flavors and tender, juicy, fall-off-the-bone chicken. A super easy recipe perfect for bone-in chicken legs and thighs!
You guys. It’s August. How did this happen?
Every year I think summer is going to be this amazing, relaxing time to slow down and enjoy the long days and warm weather.
Instead it turns into a whirlwind of entertaining and guests and projects and trips and work and driving an energetic four year-old around to a million different camps.
It’s fun. I love it. I do. But it’s a lot.
One thing that is saving us this summer is the slow cooker.
I know people often think of the slow cooker for hearty fall and winter soups and stews, but it’s also a game changer for the warmer months when routines get wonky and there’s less time to cook.
This recipe is really perfect any time of year, but the bright citrus flavors just feel like summer.
I’ll definitely be making this one in the cold months to lighten up the dark days.
My inspiration for this recipe came from The Pioneer Woman’s Pollo Asado, which she marinates and grills.
I wanted a crockpot shortcut, and I think it works really well with the low, slow cooking time.
Especially with a blast under the broiler to crisp up the skin. So yummy!
You can serve these bone-in chicken legs with warm tortillas, beans, and pico de gallo.
Or serve the chicken with rice or cauliflower rice, a big salad and maybe some roasted veggies.
The flavors are so versatile they work well with just about anything.
The ingredient list is short, too, making it the perfect standby for late in the week when you’re low on ingredients and on time.
I hope you all enjoy.
Now, let’s make some Slow Cooker Citrus Chicken!
recipe & kid-friendly adaptations
1 | If you don’t have lemons and limes, just use 4 lemons or 4 limes.
2 | Serve the chicken on the bone, or shred the meat and serve in rice bowls or in tacos with beans, pico de gallo, guacamole or sliced avocado, and plenty of hot sauce.
this recipe is…
Slow Cooker Citrus Chicken (Pollo Asado)
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons honey omit for whole30
- 4 whole garlic cloves peeled and smashed
- 1 medium yellow onion peeled and quartered
- 1 pound bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 pound bone-in chicken legs
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt divided
- In a small bowl, whisk together the orange, lemon, lime juice, and honey along with ¼ teaspoon salt. Set aside ¼ cup of the citrus mixture.
- Place the chicken thighs and legs into the base of a . Sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt, then pour over the remaining citrus mixture. Nestle in the onion pieces and garlic cloves. Note: You may also add the citrus rinds at this point (as pictured). Some readers have found the addition of the rinds bitter, so if in doubt, discard them out and just use the juice.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-6, or until the chicken is tender and falling off the bone.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker. Place the legs and thighs onto a metal baking sheet, drizzle with 2 tablespoons citrus mixture, then broil on high 5-10 minutes or until the skin is crispy.
- Serve the remaining citrus mixture for dipping and serve the chicken immediately. Alternatively, if you prefer to skip the broiler, simply remove the skin and serve the chicken shredded off the bone with the citrus mixture on the side for dipping.