Super easy to prepare, Slow Cooker Chicken, Black Bean and Quinoa Stew is full of hearty, nourishing ingredients and will be a hit with the entire family. The perfect healthy dinner recipe in a hurry!
Let me introduce you to one of our new weeknight favorites: Slow Cooker Chicken, Black Bean and Quinoa Stew.
It’s hearty, tasty, and so simple to prepare.
Just chop a few veggies and throw them into the slow cooker along with some canned, rinsed beans, chicken, a few spices, and canned fire roasted tomatoes and green chilis.
Hit start and dinner’s done!
This stew has Mexican-inspired flavors, and the quinoa adds fiber and protein to make it extra filling.
If you’re a fan of hearty, satisfying vegetarian meals – then definitely add these black bean quinoa bowls to your list too.
The fire roasted tomatoes and chilis also add a little smoky flavor.
The recipe calls for two cans of tomatoes, but be sure to save one can for the end of the cooking process.
Adding the second can at the end will brighten up the flavors after the long cooking time.
We like this topped with creamy sliced avocado and bright chopped cilantro, but some grated cheddar cheese and sour cream would also be yummy.
Some crushed tortilla chips are another option, making it more like a Mexican tortilla stew.
So good! This one freezes really well, so if there’s any leftover feel free to freeze for another night or for lunches later on.
Okay, now let’s make some Chicken, Black Bean, and Quinoa Stew!
RECIPE & KID-FRIENDLY ADAPTATIONS
1 | Most of the heat from the green chilis cooks out during the cooking process, but if you’re serving someone very sensitive to heat feel free to omit them.
2 | Top with chopped cilantro and avocado. Sour cream and crushed tortilla chips would also be tasty.
3 | Serve the stew deconstructed by picking out the chicken and beans and serving them separately along with some chopped raw carrots and a little quinoa/broth on the side.
Tools to make Slow Cooker Chicken, Black Bean, and Quinoa Stew
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Naturally Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, and Refined Sugar-Free
Slow Cooker Chicken, Black Bean, and Quinoa Stew
- 2 cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 14.5-oz cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes divided
- 1 4-oz can fire-roasted diced green chilies
- 1-3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 large carrots chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 32- oz boxes low sodium chicken stock
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- ¾ cup quinoa rinsed
- Juice of one lime
- Hot sauce optional
- Avocado to serve optional
- Chopped cilantro to serve optional
- Place the black beans, 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes, green chilies, salt, cumin, garlic powder, carrots, onion, and chicken stock in a 6-quart slow cooker, stirring to combine. Add the chicken and stir until covered.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through and very tender.
- Remove the chicken and shred with 2 forks. Add the shredded chicken along with the quinoa, cover, and cook an additional 30-45 minutes on high or until the quinoa is cooked through.
- Add the second can of fire-roasted tomatoes and lime juice, stirring to combine. Taste, adding hot sauce, and additional salt if you like. Top with avocado and chopped cilantro.