Roasted sweet potatoes, apples & mushrooms is a simple flavorful sheet pan meal perfect as a side, breakfast or main dish.
I get many requests for savory gluten-free breakfast options that don’t include eggs, and so I created this roasted sweet potato, apple & mushroom sheet pan meal as a solution.
It’s packed with color, texture, and flavor, it can be made ahead and then gently reheated for a quick morning hash-style breakfast.
It also makes an amazing side to roasted fish or meat or as a base for a vegetarian or vegan bowl.
These simply roasted vegetables would also make flavorful side dish for any holiday meal.
Or, top it with a fried egg or some cooked sausage for extra protein and you have an easy dinner any night of the week.
You really can’t go wrong with this one.
I hope you’ll make it soon!
Roasted sweet potatoes, apples & mushrooms ingredients and modifications
1 | Skip the pecans or swap them for toasted slivered almonds or hazelnuts, or use pumpkin seeds for a nut-free option.
2 | Top the hash with a fried egg, or cooked chicken sausage to make it even more substantial.
3 | Use butternut squash in place of the sweet potatoes.
4 | Use any type of mushroom you like.
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Naturally Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Grain-Free, Vegetarian, Vegan, Paleo and Whole30 Friendly
Sheet Pan Sweet Potato Paleo Hash
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes scrubbed and chopped into ½ inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons melted coconut or avocado oil or oil of your choice, divided
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 1 small or ½ large yellow onion chopped
- 2 medium apples any kind, cored and chopped
- 1 pound crimini mushrooms stems removed and thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- ⅓ cup toasted pecans roughly chopped
- ¼ cup naturally sweetened cranberries*
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped sage optional
- Heat the oven to 400F.
- Place the sweet potatoes on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil, sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt and toss to coat.
- Place the onion, apples, mushrooms, and celery on a second large, rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil, sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt and toss to coat.
- Place both pans in the oven and roast for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, flip the sweet potatoes, and stir the onion-apple-mushroom-celery mixture.
- Place both pans back in the oven and cook for an additional 20 minutes, or until everything is golden and cooked through.
- Scrape the onion-apple-mushroom-celery mixture onto the pan with the sweet potatoes. Add the pecans, cranberries, and sprinkle with sage (if using). Toss everything together, and serve.