Roasted Italian Sausage and Vegetables
This Roasted Italian Sausage and Vegetables recipe is an easy sheet pan meal that combines sausage, squash, potatoes, onion, kale and Greek spices for a satisfying dinner!
This Roasted Italian Sausage and Vegetables recipe is coming to us from Mina Stone!
She was kind enough to share this delicious sheet pan dinner with our Real Food Whole Life community, straight from her latest book, Lemon, Love & Olive Oil.
The great thing about this simple sheet pan meal (besides the ultra flavorful Greek spices) is that your main protein and veggie sides all cook together at one time.
Simply chop and drop all your ingredients onto a tray and let your oven do the rest!
more ways to enjoy this healthy sheet pan dinner
- Make a grain bowl by serving this over top cooked rice, quinoa, or even this sheet pan cauliflower rice
- Serve with some crusty bread or a slice of this one-bowl cornbread on the side
- Add a fresh & easy side salad option to enjoy like this Fall Harvest Salad or Creamy Cabbage Slaw
how to store or freeze leftover sheet pan roasted sausage and veggies
- This recipe can be made ahead. Perfect for meal prep on busy weeks (or anytime you need to get dinner on the table quickly & easily)
- Roasted Italian Sausage will keep well in the fridge for up to 3-4 days, in a sealed container
- This recipe also freezes well, store in a sealed freezer friendly container or zip-top bag for up to 2-3 months
Meal Prep Tip: Before freezing, slice the roasted sausage into rounds and chop the acorn squash into smaller pieces. That way it’ll thaw quicker when you’re ready to reheat it!
recipe notes, modifications & adaptations
- Any kind of hot or sweet Italian sausage, or chicken sausage will work for this recipe
- Mina has tested this recipe with both cooked and uncooked sausage and both work great
- Most hard winter squashes would also be delicious here in place of the acorn squash, including butternut squash or kabocha
- Make it vegetarian and vegan by omitting the sausage and adding 2 cans of drained, rinsed chickpeas instead
- For the most even cooking, be sure to spread out all your veggies & the sausage (if using) in one layer on your sheet tray. I divided this recipe up between two sheet trays and roasted both trays together (on separate racks) in the oven
this recipe is…
I hope you’ll make this healthy Roasted Italian Sausage and Vegetables sheet pan recipe soon.
Roasted Italian Sausage and Vegetables
- 1 acorn squash, trimmed, cut in half lengthwise
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ lbs baby potatoes, white or red, cut in half
- 1 red onion, medium-large, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 6 Italian sausages , (sweet, hot, or a mix)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cups kale, stemmed and torn into pieces
- Salt , to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- flat-leaf parsley or cilantro, chopped, optional for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF and line 2 rimmed sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Cut the ends off the acorn squash and prop it up on your cutting board. Slice it down the middle lengthwise and remove the seeds. Cut the squash into 1-inch “smiles” by placing the flat part on your cutting board and cutting it horizontally. Toss with lots of olive oil, sprinkle with salt, and arrange over the two baking sheets.
- Toss the baby potatoes with olive oil and add to both baking sheets with the squash.
- Nestle the wedges of red onion randomly in between the squash where there is space (this keeps the onion wedges intact) and drizzle with a bit more olive oil.
- Pierce the sausages a few times with a sharp knife and place on the baking sheets, in between the vegetables. Drizzle each sausage with a little olive oil.
- Juice the lemon over the vegetables and sausages, then sprinkle the oregano over them.
- Toss the kale with a bit of olive oil (so each piece is coated) and a sprinkle of salt and freshly ground black pepper and set aside.
- Roast the vegetables and sausages in the oven for 30 to 45 minutes, flipping once. Remove from the oven and place the kale on top of the baking sheet. Roast for another 10 minutes, or until everything is starting to crisp up and get golden brown. Drizzle with additional olive oil and garnish with parsley or cilantro and serve
This post contains affiliate links