With just one-bowl, a handful of wholesome ingredients, and a few minutes you can whip up a batch of One-Bowl Banana Oat Chocolate Chip Breakfast Cookies. Perfect for a quick breakfast or snack, these nutrition-packed cookies are naturally gluten-free and dairy-free.
We all need more breakfast cookies in our lives! First, who doesn’t want to start the day eating cookies?
Second, they are super simple and easy to make ahead, so breakfast is ready to go with minimal effort.
Third, they’re packed with wholesome ingredients and are a great way to get a little extra goodness into yourself (and your kids!).
My Blackberry Oatmeal Breakfast Cookie recipe is so popular with you guys I decided we needed a new version to add into the rotation.
And since Elle is obsessed with all things chocolate, a banana chocolate variation seemed like a natural choice.
Chocolate chips do contain a small amount of refined sugar, but otherwise these cookies are sweetened naturally with maple syrup and bananas. If you want to skip them you can always substitute unsweetened dried fruit.
So if you’re down, give these a try. The tiny amount of chocolate makes these seem like a decadent treat, and the oats and almond butter make them substantial and filling enough to get you through the morning.
I like them in the afternoon with a cup of tea, or in the evening, too, for a little treat. And if you have little ones, I’m pretty sure they’re going to think having chocolate chips for breakfast is genius. Grab the ingredients and let’s make some breakfast cookies!
RECIPE & KID-FRIENDLY ADAPTATIONS
1 | Omit the chocolate chips and substitute raisins or any other unsweetened, dried fruit to make these breakfast cookies refined sugar-free.
2 | Omit the almond butter and replace it with additional coconut oil to make these breakfast cookies nut-free.
3 | Make your own oat flour for this recipe by placing 2 cups whole rolled oats in a blender and blending until a coarse flour forms.
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Naturally Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, and Vegetarian
One-Bowl Banana Oat Chocolate Chip Breakfast Cookies
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup smooth unsweetened almond butter
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup or honey
- ⅓ cup very ripe mashed banana (about 2 medium bananas)
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups oat flour*
- 2 cups old-fashioned whole rolled oats**
- ⅓ cup ground flax seed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup chocolate chips plus more for topping***
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs until well combined. Add the coconut oil, maple syrup, mashed bananas, almond butter, and vanilla extract, whisking to combine. It’s okay if the coconut oil solidifies a bit.
- Add oat flour, whole oats, flax, salt, and baking powder, stirring until well combined. Add the chocolate chips and stir together gently.
- Spoon heaping tablespoons of the dough (I like using a cookie scoop) onto 2 greased baking sheets, using your fingers to flatten each cookie. Top with 3 additional chocolate chips each if you like.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Serve the cookies immediately, store in an airtight container, or freeze for breakfasts or snacks.