Make-Ahead DIY Breakfast Bowls
Just the thing for a healthy breakfast on-the-go, Make-Ahead DIY Breakfast Bowls are super simple to prep ahead, and can be personalized so you can enjoy the perfect bowl for you!
Are you surviving winter?
I’d say were having a rough go of it around here, as we’re currently on day 7 of no-school due to snow and ice.
Between weather and illness Elle has been in school exactly 8 days since December 1. Eight days.
Needless to say we’re going a little stir-crazy and I’m feeling way behind on all-things work related.
We have, however, enjoyed the unexpected and unusual opportunity to sled, fort-build, cross-country ski, drink hot cocoa, and generally enjoy all that winter has to offer.
With all the snow, I wanted to share a hearty, make-ahead breakfast that will sustain you throughout your day.
I love a good smoothie or breakfast cookie, but sometimes I want something savory and low in carbs and sugar.
Enter Make-Ahead DIY Breakfast Bowls. Since all the the parts can be prepped ahead, stored, and then gently reheated, they are the perfect way to start the day.
The other great thing about breakfast bowls is that they can be customized to your dietary preferences and to what you have on hand.
The recipe is really just a method, so feel free to experiment with what you like and have on hand.
These really are a great way to start the day, and have kept us fueled for snow day after snow day.
Hopefully we’ll be back to a routine soon, but until then, we’ll just keep enjoying these bowls. Now, let’s make some DIY Make-Ahead Breakfast Bowls!
RECIPE & KID-FRIENDLY ADAPTATIONS
1 | This is more of a method than recipe, so feel free to experiment with what you have and what works best for you.
2 | These bowls can be made vegan, egg-free, vegetarian or paleo. Keep the parts that work for you diet, and leave out the parts that don’t.
3 | Serve each part of the bowl separately for resistant eaters.
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Naturally Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegetarian, Vegan, Egg-Free, Nut-Free, Grain-Free, Paleo, and Whole30 Friendly
Make-Ahead DIY Breakfast Bowls
- 6 cups chopped potatoes, any kind: sweet potatoes, peeled butternut squash, or combination
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, coconut oil, or avocado oil, divided
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 pound bulk chicken sausage, optional
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups packed dark leafy greens: spinach, kale, Swiss chard, or a combination
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 6 eggs or 12-oz extra-firm tofu, drained and patted dry
- 2 green onions, finely chopped (optional)
- Sliced avocado for serving, optional
- Heat the oven to 400F.
- Place the potatoes on a large, rimmed baking pan. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of oil, sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt, and toss to combine.
- Roast 30-45 minutes, flipping once, until browned on both sides.
- Meanwhile, heat an additional 1 tablespoon oil in a large pan or skillet. Add the sausage, if using, and cook on medium-high until browned and cooked through, about 8-10 minutes.
- Scoop the sausage out of the pan and set aside, leaving any brown crispy bits in the pan. To the same pan, add an additional 1 tablespoon oil, the onion, and ¼ teaspoon salt, stirring to combine.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened and slightly browned. Add the greens and cook until wilted, stirring often. Remove the spinach and onions from the pan and set aside.
- If using eggs: Whisk together the eggs with the turmeric and ¼ salt. If using tofu: crumble the tofu and sprinkle with ¼ salt and turmeric.
- To the same pan, heat an additional 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the eggs or tofu and cook, stirring occasionally until cooked through, about 3-4 minutes for the eggs and 8-10 minutes for the tofu.
- Assemble the bowls by layering the potatoes, greens, sausage, and eggs or tofu. When ready to serve top with hot sauce, green onions and avocado if you like.
- Serve warm, or cool and store in individual servings for 4-5 days in the fridge.