Instant Pot Chicken, Apples & Cabbage is a super simple one-pot meal that’s packed with flavor, but with little prep or fuss.
A gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo, whole30 recipe.
Ahhhhh, doesn’t this recipe just scream fall?
It’s packed with so much goodness, from the apples, onions, and cabbage, to the natural sweetness of the apple cider.
It’s basically just autumn in a bowl.
Not to mention it’s crazy simple to prepare and requires just a handful of simple, real food ingredients.
Weeknight dinner for the win!
I personally think cabbage is a totally underrated vegetable, as it’s not only inexpensive but also full of goodness, fiber, and flavor.
Plus it pairs so well with apples and onions, and when cooked it becomes silky, tender, and totally yummy.
Just don’t skip the olive oil when making this one, as it lends richness to the sauce plus some much needed healthy and satisfying fat.
I like to serve this meal over some cooked rice or cauliflower rice. It’s totally delicious on its own but – like my spinach artichoke chicken recipe – also great served with some crusty bread on the side to soak up all the juices.
I hope you’ll make this one soon. If you do, be sure to share it on Instagram and tag me at @realfoodwholelife so I can see!
Now, let’s make some Instant Pot Chicken, Apples & Cabbage!
Recipe & Kid Friendly Adaptations
1 | Serve atop cooked rice, cauliflower rice, or with bread on the side to soak up the juices.
2 | Pork chops work well in this recipe in place of chicken.
3 | If you’re short on time, skip the saute step, and just add everything straight to the Instant Pot (minus the apple cider vinegar). I like the flavor of the chicken better when it’s sauteed first, but it’s not necessary.
This Recipe Is
gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, mayo-free, nut-free, grain-free, soy-free, paleo and whole30
Pin the Image Below To Save Instant Pot Chicken, Apples & Cabbage to Pinterest for Later!
Instant Pot Chicken, Apples & Cabbage
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¾ teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 1 medium yellow onion thinly sliced
- 4 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 3 crisp sweet apples, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- ¼ cup apple cider
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Set an electric pressure cooker to saute for 10 minutes. Allow to preheat for 2 minutes, add the oil, allow to heat for a minute, then add the chicken. Sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt and allow to saute until golden on one side, about 5 minutes. Flip and saute for 3 more minutes.
- Add the onion, cabbage, apples, garlic, apple cider, and ½ teaspoon salt, tossing to combine, leaving the chicken at the bottom of the pot.
- Secure the lid, select the manual setting, and set it to high pressure for 8 minutes.
- When the pressure cooker timer is done, quick release the pressure.
- Add the apple cider vinegar, stirring to combine. Taste and add additional salt if desired. Serve the chicken whole or shredded, atop the cabbage, apple, and onion mix.
- Stove Top Variation
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or pot. Proceed with steps, 1 and 2 above.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce to a simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 25-30 minutes.
- Uncover, and proceed with step 5 above.
- Crockpot Variation
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Add the chicken and brown on both sides.
- Transfer the olive oil, chicken, cabbage, apples, garlic powder, and salt to a 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 6-8 hours, or until the chicken is cooked and cabbages is soft.
- Proceed with step 5 above.