Whether you’re looking for an easy snack or a simple pre-dinner nibble, Easy Sweet & Spicy Nut and Seed Clusters is your answer. It’s the perfect make-ahead recipe, yielding irresistible results every time.
Warning: do not make a pan of these sweet and spicy nuts and seeds if you’re home alone. Because as soon as they cool, you’ll be tempted to taste a few sticky morsels. You know, just to make sure they’re good. And, trust me, they’ll be good. And then you might need to taste a few more.
And maybe just a tiny bit more. And before you know it, you’ll have eaten half the batch. Or at least that’s my guess. I don’t know this from actual experience. Of course not. But, to be on the safe side, you’ve been warned.
These little sweet and spicy nut and seed clusters really are addictive, making them the perfect little make-ahead snack or party nibble. I like to make a big batch (or maybe a double) to keep on hand for appetizer platters or to serve with drinks.
They’re great with afternoon tea, too, providing a little hint of sweetness while still offering some healthy fats and fiber to get through until dinner.
I like to shop the bulk aisle at my local natural foods store to stock up on nuts and seeds. I find the prices are better and I can measure out just the amount I need. Sesame seeds can sometimes be hard to find, so check the bulk spice section if you can’t find them with the other nuts and seeds.
If you can’t find or don’t want to use one or more of the nuts or seeds suggested in the recipe, feel free to make your own magical sweet and spicy combination. This recipe will come out beautifully no matter which way you go.
Just be sure to keep on eye on the mixture while it’s roasting to avoid burning. The final cooled mix can be stored in a tightly sealed container for a few days, making this the perfect make-ahead for a big gathering or small get together.
They make a great gift, too, so make some extra and pass them out to friends and family. Just be sure to keep some for yourself!
RECIPE & KID-FRIENDLY ADAPTATIONS
1 | Feel free to play around with the types and proportions of nuts and seeds in this recipe. Substitute walnuts for cashews, pecans for almonds, just use what you like and have on hand to create your own magical mixture.
2 | Omit the chili powder if you want to keep this snack super-mild, or double the amount to give it an extra kick.
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Naturally Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Refined Sugar-Free, Vegetarian, and Paleo-Friendly
Easy Sweet & Spicy Nut and Seed Clusters
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried chipotle chili powder or substitute regular chili powder
- ½ cup raw unsalted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- ½ cup large flaked unsweetened coconut
- ½ cup raw unsalted almonds
- ½ cup raw unsalted cashews
- ⅓ cup raw unsalted sesame seeds
- ⅓ cup raw unsalted sunflower seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, honey, salt, and chili powder.
- Pour over the honey-coconut oil mixture and stir well to combine.
- Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes, stirring halfway through, or until the mixture is lightly browned and fragrant.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Break into pieces, then serve immediately, or store in a tightly sealed container for up to 3 days.