Creamy and crunchy (without dairy or mayo), Crunchy Smashed Chickpea Salad is packed with plant-based protein and fiber. It’s s snap to make, tastes delicious, and packs beautifully for lunches or potlucks.
Many of you write to me requesting easy recipes you can prep ahead and pack for lunch. One of my personal lunch favorites is One-Bowl Harvest Chicken Salad, and I wanted to create a plant-based alternative for days you want to go meat-free or for those of you who avoid meat altogether.
I’ve been playing around with this recipe for a while and I’m so excited to share it today!
I wanted to create a chickpea salad that rivaled its chicken counterpart and to create a version that was free of dairy and mayo. So I was thinking about what I could use as a creamy alternative.
I tried a ground cashew situation, but it made the recipe too time intensive for everyday. I also tried coconut milk, which fell flat. Might come back to that combo in the future, but for now, it was a no-go.
Then I thought about mashing white beans into a creamy paste to bind everything together and it worked beautifully! Addictive, really.
Like, standing over the bowl scooping “taste tests” into your mouth repeatedly, addictive. Not that I would know from personal experience. It’s just a guess.
Not only is this one good but it’s also so stinking simple to make. And it packs really well for lunch. Plus if you prep a double batch over the weekend there’s enough for multiple lunches during the week. Sold yet?
I like to pile a heap of the stuff on top of baby spinach on a plate and then top then pour over generous glug of olive oil and white wine vinegar, plus maybe a sprinkle of toasted, salted cashews fro even more crunch.
There’s also a version I like in which the salad forms a sandwich filling along with avocado, greens, and a healthy sprinkle of sea salt. Now we’re talking!
This quick salad is also great for summer potlucks and picnics, since it’s lovely served at room temperature. So basically it’s just good anyway you want to go. Now, let’s make some creamy, crunchy chickpea salad!
1 | Serve this salad over greens with an extra drizzle of vinegar and some extra virgin olive oil.
2 | It’s also fabulous as a sandwich filling with avocado and baby spinach.
THIS RECIPE IS. . .
Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free, Nut-Free, Vegetarian, and Vegan
Crunchy Smashed Chickpea Salad (Dairy-Free, Mayo-Free)
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 14- oz can white beans drained and rinsed
- 1 14- oz can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 cup finely chopped celery from about 3 stalks
- 1 cup finely chopped apple from about 1 medium apple
- 1 scallion finely chopped (white and green parts)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- To a large bowl, add the olive oil, vinegar, salt, and white beans. Using a back of a fork, mash the white beans until smooth paste forms. This might take a few minutes, but just keep mashing until the beans are smooth.
- Add the chickpeas and mash lightly, leaving some whole and most in large chunks.
- Add the celery, apple, and scallion, mixing well to combine. Taste and add additional salt, black pepper, or vinegar to taste.