With a short list of simple, real food ingredients this Slow Cooker Pulled BBQ Chicken is brilliantly easy and so delicious. Throw everything in the slow cooker in the morning and come home to a perfectly cooked barbecue dinner. Yum!
We don’t head back to school around here for another month, but that doesn’t mean I’m not always looking for ways to make dinner quick, easy, and healthy.
And when I’m in need of quick, healthy, and easy I often turn to my slow cooker. I love dumping a few simple ingredients in, hitting a button, and coming home to dinner waiting for me at the end of the day. So good.
This Slow Cooker Pulled BBQ Chicken is especially good for busy weeknights because it can be prepped in just a few minutes with a short list of simple pantry-staples. Plus everyone will love it.
Feel free to double the recipe if you’re feeding a crowd. Serve the juicy pulled chicken atop a whole wheat or gluten-free bun, in lettuce wraps, or in rice bowls.
A quick, simple slaw adds texture, crunch, and veggies to the chicken. We like 5-Ingredient Every Day Slaw.
Or, make a quick slaw by combining one-half of a Napa cabbage, thinly sliced (regular green cabbage would also work), a grated carrot, a sliced red bell pepper, the juice of one lemon, a tablespoon olive oil, salt, and pepper. Stir together in a bowl and let sit for a few minutes for the flavors to combine. You can’t go wrong!
1 | If your child prefers chicken with less sauce, hold some shredded meat aside before adding back to the slow cooker. Serve the shredded chicken with sauce on the side for dipping.
2 | Taste the smoked paprika before adding it to the recipe. Some can be on the spicy side, so omit it if yours is spicy and you have a child sensitive to heat.
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Naturally Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Nut-Free and Refined Sugar-Free.
Slow Cooker Pulled BBQ Chicken
- 1 15- oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Combine tomato sauce, honey, molasses, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, vinegar and salt in a slow cooker, stirring until well combined.
- Add the chicken, spooning some of the tomato mixture over to cover.
- Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Remove the chicken, shred with two forks, then add back to the slow cooker, stirring to combine.
- Serve the pulled chicken on whole wheat or gluten-free buns, in lettuce wraps, or in rice bowls.