20-Minute Turkey Tacos with Apple Salsa
20-Minute Turkey Tacos with Apple Salsa is the perfect, fresh recipe to ease your way from summer into fall. Topped with sweet, crisp Apple Salsa, they are simple to prepare on busy weeknights.
Hello from Upstate New York! I’m writing this on Labor Day, the last “official” day of summer for many of us. After a week playing in the lake with cousins, Elle is completely spent and in desperate need of a nap and an early bed time.
Actually, we all are.
We spent this morning, our last day here, swimming, jumping off the raft, and stand-up paddle boarding. And then we helped bring in the raft and put it away for the summer. Because schools starts tomorrow.
It’s time to clean up and go home.
School doesn’t actually start for us until next week, but man am I ready to get on with the fall routine. I’m an admitted routine-based person, and let me tell you, I’m looking forward to having us all back on a predictable schedule.
And, let’s be honest, for Elle to be back in school. She’s chomping at the bit for the buzz and activity of school and new friends. I’ll miss her like crazy, but I’m also looking forward to some uninterrupted work time.
Also, I just love fall. It’s my favorite season. Actually, I love this exact time right now. The time right at summer’s end and fall’s beginning. When the light starts to change, the air gets cool and crisp, and the leaves start slowly changing.
And when the end of the summer produce season merges with the beginning of fall. I think it’s one of the best times of year to eat. I honestly can’t wait to get back to my kitchen and start working on fall recipes for you guys.
In the meantime, I’m kicking off the summer-into-fall season with this easy weeknight taco recipe. Have you ever thought of using apples to make fresh salsa?
Do you think it’s weird? Andrew did. But then he tasted it and decided it’s not weird, it’s amazing. I think you’ll feel the same way.
The crunchy, sweet apples go really well with the cooked turkey, and the lime juice gives the tacos a little extra zip. There’s minimal chopping in this recipe, too. Just the onions, apples, green onion, and jalapeño (if you’re using it).
RECIPE & KID-FRIENDLY ADAPTATIONS
1 | Serve the cooked turkey and tortillas separately and let your child make his or her own taco, or just eat the parts separately.
2 | Omit the jalapeño to keep the salsa super mild.
3 | Not a fan of the salsa? Just serve him sliced apples on the side.
4 | For a vegetarian option you can substitute a can of rinsed, drained white beans for the turkey.
5 | For a paleo and Whole30 option, swap lettuce cups for the tortillas.
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Naturally Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, and Nut-Free (swap lettuce wraps for tortillas and it’s Paleo and Whole30 Friendly, too!)
20-Minute Turkey Tacos with Apple Salsa
For the Tacos:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ yellow or white onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced or grated
- 1 lb ground turkey, dark or light meat
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
- Hot sauce to taste, optional
- Grated white cheddar cheese, optional
- Sour cream, optional
- Sliced avocado, optional
For the Salsa:
- 2 large, sweet red apples (such as Fuji or Honeycrisp), finely chopped
- Juice of 2 limes
- 3 green onions, white and green parts, finely chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped jalapeño, optional
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large sauté pan. Add the onion and ¼ teaspoon salt. Sauté 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened.
- Add the garlic, turkey, cumin, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook the turkey, stirring occasionally until browned and cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the salsa by combining the apples, lime juice, green onions, cilantro, and salt in a medium bowl, stirring to combine.
- Make the tacos by filling each tortilla with cooked turkey and topping with apple salsa. Add hot sauce, cheese, and sour cream if you like.