20-Minute Reset Turkey Chili
20-Minute Reset Turkey Chili is a delicious weeknight staple that’s fast, filling, can be made in one pan, and with just 10 ingredients.
When Andrew and I were newly married we moved to Ellensburg, Washington for his job as a professor at Central Washington University. I was two years out of college at that point and excited by the ideas of moving to a new state and starting our lives as a married couple.
Once we arrived I started graduate school and we settled into a lovely little life. I went to school and worked as a graduate assistant and he spent his days teaching and researching. One or both of us usually had evening classes, and it soon became clear that we would need some kind of system to make sure we had something to eat each evening.
Up until that point Andrew had done most of the cooking, but since he often worked late I realized I needed to figure out how to make some basic meals. A simple marinara sauce was one of the first easy recipes I added to my repertoire, and this 20-Minute Reset Turkey Chili was the second.
I call it “Reset” Turkey Chili because I often made it when we wanted to eat a little cleaner. If we’d gone out to dinner the night before or had been out on the road traveling, this is the chili I’d make to bring us back to healthy eating.
20-Minute Reset Turkey Chili is still a weeknight staple in our house because it’s fast, filling, can be made in one pan and with just 10 ingredients. Andrew still loves it and so does Elle, so I honestly make this one all the time. You can serve it with all the fixings, or just straight up. I like it with a little avocado and chopped green onion, but feel free to make it your own.
RECIPE & KID-FRIENDLY ADAPTATIONS
1 | Omit the chili powder to eliminate any trace of spice.
2 | Grate the onion and carrot instead of chopping to make the texture of the vegetables less noticeable.
3 | Serve with toppings of your choice: chopped scallion or onion, cilantro, diced avocado, corn chips, cheese, or sour cream.
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Naturally Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Nut-Free, and Refined Sugar-Free
20-Minute Reset Turkey Chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 large or 4 small carrots, finely chopped
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon mild chili powder
- 1 pound ground turkey, light or dark meat
- 1 14.5- oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 15- oz can tomato sauce
- 1 15- oz can Great Northern or white beans, drained and rinsed
- Hot sauce, to taste
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and carrots, sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and softened, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the turkey, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, and an additional ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook until the turkey is browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, white beans, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Stir, bring to a boil, then turn to low and simmer for 5 minutes until thickened and the flavors combined, stirring occasionally. Serve with hot sauce if you like.