10-Ingredient Slow Cooker Vegetable and Quinoa Stew is a hearty, vegetarian meal that’s easy to make and completely satisfying. Warm, nourishing, and so simple, you’ll want to make this stew for dinner tonight!
This is my new favorite recipe. It’s my favorite because it’s so easy to make, requiring just a few minutes to chop some veggies, open a few cans, and dump everything into the slow cooker. It’s also my favorite because it’s so ridiculously good.
As the veggies and beans slowly simmer they create a flavorful, nourishing broth that is just magical. Seriously. The addition of quinoa adds additional protein and some texture that sends the stew over the edge.
I like serving this stew with a squeeze of fresh lemon, some chopped scallion, freshly ground black pepper, and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. So good! Elle likes her with the kale picked out and served on the side and a very generous sprinkling of parmesan cheese. And Andrew took his with a giant hunk of bread with extra olive oil for dipping.
I hope this one becomes a staple in your house, as it has in ours. Keep these simple ingredients on hand and you can whip it up any time in a matter of minutes. Grab a spoon and let’s dig in!
RECIPE & KID-FRIENDLY ADAPTATIONS
1 | If your child won’t go for kale, simply pick it out of his or her bowl before serving.
2 | Some children prefer smoother textures, so consider blending a few cups of this soup (with or without the kale) and serving it as a puree.
3 | Offer plenty of freshly grated parmesan cheese and crusty bread for dipping.
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Naturally Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegetarian, Nut-Free, Refined Sugar-Free and Freezable
10-Ingredient Slow Cooker Vegetable and Quinoa Stew
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large carrots chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 bunch kale stems removed and thinly sliced (about 5-6 cups)
- 1 15- oz can white beans drained and rinsed
- 2 15- oz cans chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5- oz can fire roasted petite diced tomatoes
- 32- oz low sodium vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ cup quinoa rinsed
- Chopped scallions
- Lemon slices
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place the onion, sweet potatoes, carrots, kale, white beans, chickpeas, tomatoes, stock and salt in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours, or until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Uncover and add the quinoa. Cover and cook for an additional 20-30 minutes, or until the quinoa is cooked through. Taste and add additional salt to taste.
- Serve with chopped scallions, lemons slices, freshly ground black pepper, and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil if you like.