Easy and versatile 6-Ingredient Slow Cooker Enchilada Chicken is a totally simple, completely delicious weeknight crockpot recipe that everyone will love! A healthy, gluten-free, dairy-free recipe.
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1 (28-oz) can tomato sauce
1/2 to 1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon mild chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
Juice of 1 lime
Hot sauce (optional)
- Add the sliced onions, tomato puree, salt, cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder to a 6-quart slow cooker, stirring to combine.
- Nestle the chicken into the slow cooker, making sure it is well covered by the tomato mixture.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7, until the sauce has thickened, the onions are soft, and the chicken is falling apart.
- Remove the chicken and shred with two forks. Add the shredded chicken back to the slow cooker, stirring to combine.
- Add the lime juice and additional salt if desired. Serve warm, adding hot sauce to taste.
- Be sure to use canned tomato sauce in this recipe. Diced or whole tomatoes will not work well. Tomato sauce brands very in consistency from thin to thick, so if you want a thicker sauce add less tomato sauce.
- Serve tucked into warm tortillas, in lettuce wraps (Bibb or romaine lettuce work well), atop baked potatoes, on rice, or topping a heaping bed of greens.
- Add additional toppings such as avocado, cilantro, radishes, sliced green onions, grated cheese, and/or sour cream if desired.