Naturally sweet, tangy and oh-so delicious, Slow Cooker Tropical Pulled Chicken is a breeze to throw together and makes for a healthy dinner everyone will love!
¼ cup reduced sodium (gluten-free) tamari*
1 (8-oz) can crushed pineapple
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
¼ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
5-Ingredient Everyday Creamy Cabbage Slaw, for serving (optional)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the tamari, crushed pineapple, tomato paste, honey, garlic powder, onion powder, ginger and salt. Scoop ¼ cup of the mixture and set aside.
- Add the chicken to a 6-quart slow cooker. Add the remaining sauce, turning the chicken to coat.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6.
- Uncover and shred the chicken with 2 forks. Add the remaining ¼ cup sauce, stirring to combine. Taste and add additional salt if desired.
- Serve the chicken warm on buns, in bowls, or in lettuce wraps with Creamy Cabbage Slaw, if desired.
*Look for gluten-free tamari near the soy sauce. If gluten is not an issue for you, reduced sodium soy sauce may be used in its place.
Serve the pulled chicken in buns, in bowls, or as a filling for lettuce wraps.
Use boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, whichever you prefer.
All slow cookers are different, so you may need to adjust the time up or down depending on your particular model.