With a sweet, tangy sauce and a savory, crunchy slaw, Slow Cooker Pomegranate BBQ Chicken with Crunchy Apple Slaw is incredibly flavorful, yet simple to make.
For the Pomegranate BBQ Chicken
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
1 6-oz can tomato paste
1 cup pomegranate juice
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
4 tablespoons honey
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
For the Apple Slaw
2 apples, thinly sliced
1 scallion, thinly sliced
1 small medium napa cabbage, sliced into shreds (about 4 cups)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper (optional)
¼ cup pomegranate seeds (optional)
Make the Pomegranate BBQ Chicken
- In a medium bowl, make the bbq sauce by whisking the tomato paste, pomegranate juice, apple cider vinegar, honey, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, chili powder, 2 teaspoons salt and dijon mustard.
- Place the chicken into a 6-quart slow cooker. Pour over half (about 1 cup) of the bbq sauce, stirring to combine. Set the other half of the sauce aside.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 5-6 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through and shreds easily with a fork.
- Remove the chicken, shred with 2 forks, then return to the slow cooker, stirring back into the sauce. Add the remaining 1 cup bbq sauce and stir to combine.
- Serve the chicken over greens, rice, or in whole wheat or gluten-free buns, then top with Apple Slaw and a sprinkling of pomegranate seeds.
Make the Apple Slaw
- In a medium bowl combine the apples, scallion, cabbage, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and ¼ teaspoons salt. Allow to sit for at least 5 minutes for the flavors to combine and the cabbage to wilt, then serve.
Serve the shredded chicken plain, prior to adding any additional sauce.
The Pomegranate BBQ Chicken is delicious piled into sandwich buns, in rice bowls, or by itself topped with the Apple Slaw.
Both boneless, skinless chicken breasts and thighs work in this recipe, so feel free to use what you like and what you have.