A sweet and savory summer wonder, this simple, healthy Slow Cooker Peach Chicken with Basil is easy to make, tastes amazing, and will keep your kitchen cool in the warm months and bring a touch of summer in the cold months.
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
1 large white or yellow onion, very thinly sliced
¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
6 peaches (no need to peel), sliced
¼ cup tightly packed basil leaves, thinly sliced
Hot sauce to taste (optional)
- Place the sliced onions in the bottom of the slow cooker, 1 teaspoon salt, garlic powder, and vinegar. Stir in peach slices from 4 peaches, then nestle the chicken breasts into the mix making sure they’re covered with some of the peach-onion mixture. Do not add the basil—that goes in at the end.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- When ready to serve, turn off the heat, remove the chicken breasts, and stir in the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon vinegar. Stir to combine.
- Shred the chicken with two forks, then return to the slow cooker, stirring to combine.
- Top with the remaining sliced peaches and plenty of basil. Add hot sauce to taste and serve. Serve the shredded chicken over rice, greens, or on its own.
Omit the onions from the recipe if you have an onion-hater. The dish will be fine without them.
Let her shred the chicken with you in the kitchen. Helping with the prep may inspire her to try something new.
Set aside and serve him some plain shredded chicken prior to adding the rest back to the sauce in the slow cooker.
Serve the basil on the side.