A simple and delicious plant-based meal, Slow Cooker Butternut Squash, Kale & Quinoa Stew is hearty, nourishing and packed with all the good stuff.
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
3 cups cubed butternut squash
3 garlic cloves, minced or finely grated
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
1–3 teaspoon kosher salt
1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes
4 cups (32 ounces) vegetable broth
½ cup dry quinoa
2 to 3 cups chopped kale
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
Fresh ground pepper and extra virgin olive oil for serving
- Combine the onion, butternut squash, garlic, cumin, paprika, salt, tomatoes, broth and quinoa in the base of a 6-quart slow cooker, stirring to combine.
- Cover and cook for 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low, or until the onions and butternut squash are very tender and cooked through.
- Uncover, add the kale, cover, and cook on high for the kale to wilt, about 15-30 minutes.
- Uncover and add the vinegar, stirring to combine. Taste and additional salt or vinegar if you like.
- Serve, drizzled with extra virgin olive and freshly ground pepper.
If your child isn’t a fan of cooked kale, serve his or her soup prior to adding it in. Offer an alternative green veggie on the side.
Serve with crusty bread for dunking.
If you eat dairy, sprinkle the soup with freshly grated parmesan cheese prior to serving.
Inspired by Butternut Squash, Kale and Quinoa Stew from Love & Lemons.