Light, bright, and perfect for summer, Slow Cooker Balsamic Tomato Basil Pulled Chicken is super easy to prepare and so delicious.
2 medium garlic cloves, minced or finely grated
1 ½ pound Roma or cherry tomatoes, roughly chopped (about 5 cups total)
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
¼ cup thinly sliced basil
- In a medium bowl, stir together the garlic, tomatoes, vinegar, olive oil, and ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Add 2 cups of the tomato mixture to a 6-quart slow cooker. Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, then add to the slow cooker. Top with an additional 1 cup of the tomato mixture. Set aside the remaining tomato mixture, covered, for serving.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6, or until the chicken is cooked through and shreds easily with a fork.
- Remove the chicken to a cutting board or plate, shred with two forks, then return to the slow cooker, stirring to combine with the tomatoes and juices.
- Serve the chicken, topped with the remaining fresh tomato mixture and sprinkled with basil.
Serve the chicken shredded, prior to adding back to the slow cooker for resistant eaters. Offer sliced cherry tomatoes on the side.
Serve with a side of veggies, in a rice bowl, or tossed with freshly cooked pasta.