Incredibly simple and delicious, One-Pan Sweet & Sour Cabbage with Sausage is a one-dish dinner you can make any night of the week.
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 pound fully cooked apple chicken sausages (organic if possible)*
1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 medium apples (any kind), cored and thinly sliced
1 small purple cabbage (about 1.5 pounds), cored and very thinly sliced
¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
⅓ cup apple cider
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over in a Dutch oven or large, lidded pan over medium heat. Add the sausages and cook until browned on both sides, flipping once, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the sausages from the pan and set aside. Heat an additional 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt, and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are softened and slightly browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add the apples, cabbage, ½ teaspoon salt, apple cider and apple cider vinegar, stirring to combine.
- Cover and cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender, about 20 minutes. If the pan starts to dry out, add a splash more apple cider.
- Uncover and test the cabbage. The liquid should be nearly dry and the cabbage should be tender. If there’s extra liquid, cook on medium with the lid off until nearly dry. If the cabbage is still tough, cover and cook an additional 10 minutes or until tender.
- Add the sausage back to the pan, stirring to warm through. Taste and add additional salt, apple cider vinegar, or freshly ground pepper to taste.
*Look for chicken sausage that is made without added sugar or synthetic preservatives.
Use green cabbage in place of purple.
If you don’t have apple cider, substitute ⅓ cup chicken stock whisked together with 2 tablespoons honey.
Skip the sausage and turn this into a vegetarian/vegan side dish.