A wholesome, easy, tasty treat, One-Bowl Lunch Box Energy Bites (Nut-Free) are perfect for lunch boxes, as an afternoon snack, or as a quite bite on-the-go.
1 ½ cup whole, rolled oats (not instant)*
½ cup unsweetened, flaked coconut
½ cup ground flax seed
⅛ teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
½ cup sunflower butter, warmed to soften
¼ cup melted coconut oil
¼ cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup mini chocolate chips (optional)**
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, coconut, flax seed, and salt.
- Add the sunflower butter, coconut oil, honey, and vanilla extract, stirring until well combined.
- Add the chocolate chips, if using, stirring until well incorporated.
- Scoop 2 teaspoons of the dough, then roll into a ball. Place the ball on onto a sheet pan lined with parchment or a silicone mat. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Store, tightly covered, in the refrigerator up to 5 days.
*Use gluten-free oats if you’d like this recipe to be gluten-free.
**Use dairy-free chocolate chips if you’d like this recipe to be dairy-free. I like these.
Skip the chocolate chips if you want to keep this recipe completely refined sugar-free.
Invite your child to help make these energy bites. He or she can stir all the ingredients together, scoop the dough, and roll each bite into balls.