Tender, lightly sweet, and scented with warm vanilla and honey, One-Bowl Honey Vanilla Cornmeal Cake comes together in just one bowl and is perfect as a side dish or simple dessert.
½ cup melted coconut oil, plus more for greasing the pan
3 large eggs
⅓ cup cup honey
⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup oat flour*
3/4 cup finely ground yellow cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
Additional raw honey for serving (optional)
- Heat the oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, eggs, honey, applesauce, and vanilla until smooth.
- Add the oat flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Mix again until well incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into a pan greased with additional coconut oil. I used a 9-inch round cake pan, but an 8-inch square glass baking dish will also work.
- Bake the cake for 35-40 minutes or until it begins pulling away from the sides and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle.
- Allow the cake to cool for at least 20 minutes. Gently remove from the pan, then slice and serve, drizzled with additional honey if you like.
*Make your own oat flour for this recipe by placing 1 cup whole oats in a blender and blending until a coarse flour forms. Alternatively, you can buy pre-made oat flour at well-stocked grocery stores and online (either regular or gluten-free). Be sure to buy gluten-free oats if you want to keep the recipe gluten-free.
Bake in a square pan, slice into squares and serve as a sweet cornbread alongside your favorite soups, stews, and chilis.
Serve with a giant dollop of Vanilla Bean Sea Salt Coconut Whipped Cream or homemade whipped cream and a sprinkling of fresh berries.